Mountain Project Logo

Italy hut to base out of for sport climbing

Original Post
Chrisr62 · · Bend, Oregon · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

My wife and I are looking for a hut(s) to base out of while we're there on a climbing trip. We're trying to travel light focusing on sport climbing but will have a small rack with us just in case. We're starting out in Finale Ligure but would like to hike into a hut and stay there for 3-4 days.

Does anyone have any beta on a good hut to visit?

Thanks!

Chris

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,812
Chrisr62 wrote:

My wife and I are looking for a hut(s) to base out of while we're there on a climbing trip. We're trying to travel light focusing on sport climbing but will have a small rack with us just in case. We're starting out in Finale Ligure but would like to hike into a hut and stay there for 3-4 days.

Does anyone have any beta on a good hut to visit?

Thanks!

Chris

Noticed a neat looking hut at Rocca Sbarua outside Turin which isn't far from Finale.  Fun multi pitch.

http://www.casacanada.eu/the-rocca-sbarua/?lang=en

Val di Mello has some great looking huts. 

Not sure when your trip is, but, uphill from Chiavenna into Switzerland are nice huts well situated for climbing.  Albigna and Sciora areas.

Chrisr62 · · Bend, Oregon · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

Thanks for the info. Brian. Appreciate it. We'll be there Mid Sept - Mid Oct. Weather will most likely dictate where we go after Finale. In research mode at this point.

Thanks again!

coppolillo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 70

Rifugio Scoiattoli, above Cortina...it's a ways from Finale, but homemade pasta and tiramisu...gorgeous setting. Not epic sport climbing, but definitely a bunch of routes to do, then loads more with a light rack. Worth the voyage!

MikeyHeinz · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 45

I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel, but maybe check out Locarno, Switzerland if you get a chance. Hundreds of sport climbs on amazing granite, up to 18-pitches, from slab to overhung, lots of variety, and there are some huts around that area higher up in elevation. My wife and I were there a few weekends ago and were really impressed - beautiful area, great people, perfect weather, great rock.

2 huts I see around that area:

Capanna Alpe Spluga

Rifugio Al Legn

-Mike

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply