Mountain Project Logo

Persistent Forearm Tweak/Ache/Injury

Original Post
Willis K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 40

Forgive me if I've duplicated a thread here - I've searched to the best of my ability and haven't been able to find much discussion on similar injuries.

Here are my symptoms: on moves that require any pulling from my left arm, even on jugs, I experience a strange painful twinge about 2/3 of the way down my forearm. The pain is located slightly closer to the elbow, but not on or near the joint or any connection points. After a long, LONG warmup, which usually includes a decent amount of pain, it tends to hurt a little less. After a day of hard climbing, though, even something like a pullup will be met with a severe twinge. I'm totally unable to figure out if this is a muscle or a tendon thing - the pain is certainly located over where I believe the tendons run, but the way that it twinges sometimes feels like a muscular problem.

I believe the problem began after a couple weeks of hard hangboarding. I did stop hangboarding, but as is probably clear, I've been unable to stop climbing entirely. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I know typical advice would be: take it easy, ice/heat, and above all, rest. I'm doing my best...

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 266

Sounds like a tendon or a ligament. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

I recommend you arrange an appointment with one of my colleagues, preferably an orthopedist.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply