Mountain Project Logo

Moore's accident 4/16?

Original Post
Drew Hellams · · High Point, NC · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 30

NPR just reported a non-lethal climbing accident at Moore's on Sunday. 28-yo man. No details. Any one know anything?

Emil Briggs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 105

The climber fell about 20 feet while being lowered. Apparently at this point the available information indicates that the rope just broke when the climber was about 20 feet off the ground. I'm sure more information will become available soon.

rozaosa · · Mordor · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

Hope he didn't wreck himself too bad. 

Emil Briggs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 105

Updated information indicates that rather than the rope breaking which would have been most unusual the climber was actually lowered off the end of the rope.

Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 938

Caveat: everything I have here is rumor and speculation. I have no first-hand knowledge.

The latest I heard is that they were climbing Quaker State with a 60 meter rope, and the climber fell when the belayer lowered him off the end of the rope. There's some information that the climber was clipped to the rope with a locking caribiner, not tied in with an eight. 

This suggests to me that they were lowering off the rap anchor like one might off a sport anchor. I.e.--the climber got to the anchor, went in direct, pulled a bight of rope trough the rap rings, tied an eight and clipped it to the harness, untied the usual tie in, and lowered.

If this is the case, they lost an additional couple of feet of rope on the lower that was present during the climb. Since QS is already a rope stretcher. 

To TR on a 60m, the climber has to get up on the ledge before the belayer can put her on belay.

Add to this a loss of a couple of feet from the unusual tie-in, and it could account for a pretty ugly 15' fall or so. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply