Crampons for Tiny Feet

Original Post
John Buchenauer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 15

Hi all. My fiancé has size 6.5 mountaineering boots. I have some very old SMC hinged crampons and Grivel G10s. She doesn't like the straps on the SMCs but when she puts the Grivels on, her shoe is so narrow her toes squeeze between the two bits of metal that hold the rubber bit on at the front so her toes stick out over the front points and therefore the front points only stick out a quarter inch or so beyond her toe. I'm not sure if the Grivels are the Wide G10s. Is there another crampon that is better for really small/narrow feet?

appologies for any typos, I am quite drunk. 

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60
John Buchenauer wrote:

appologies for any typos, I am quite drunk. 

Same

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 105

You looking for semi auto crampons?

John Buchenauer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 15

Strap on's preferably. Her boots have a welt on the back, but not on the front so Semi-automatic would work. But looking at all sorts of crampons online, many seem to have the metal bits in roughly the same place as the G10s and we would end up in the same situation. It's my understanding that the toe of the boot shouldn't stick out much, or at all, above the front points. I'll post a picture in a bit.

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 105

I'd look at petzl, maybe try the Lynx since you have adjustable front points. Not the lightest but at least you'll have useable front points 

Matt Inoue · · CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 90
Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

You should check out the latest line of Petzl crampons.  I have a pair of the current Sarkens that fit pretty well on my fiance's Nepal Evo (women's 6.5) and with their new system you can switch back and forth between a wire bail and a plastic basket and you also get the option of two positions for each that allow you to fine tune the amount of front point that is revealed. One of the bigger challenges with her foot size is the fit under the ball of the foot and the gap between front and rear halves.  She typically gets a better fit from a 10 point crampon than from a 12 point crampon.

The length of the point shown in the pictured might be ok depending on her climbing objectives. 

Don't hesitate to take her boots into your local climbing shop to try all of the crampons they have on her boots to see which fit the best.

cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 460

BD Stingers will work!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply