Mountain Project Logo

Gunks Mentor

Original Post
Mattchoo Laurence · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all, 

I currently live in NYC and am hoping to get up to the Gunks pretty often this season.  I'm looking for anyone with experience in leading trad that would like to climb with me.  Ideally someone from the city so we can split traveling costs.  I do not have a car, but I will cover food and fuel if you do drive.  Not to mention I'll buy beers for us afterwards as well.  I'd like to start leading after a few solid outings.  I have all of the necessary equipment to lead, I just don't feel confident to do it yet. Please let me know if you're interested.

Matt

Rahn Laird · · NY · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 30

Hey Matt, 

What grades are you climbing? We can catch up at the cliffs at LIC for a climb to meet each other. 

I aim to get to the gunks every 2-3 weeks with a good crew of people. I am climbing 5.9- 5.10 at the gunks and keen to get on some 11s and 12s this season. 

The crew I climb with varies in experience so can introduce you to people at about the same level.

cheers

Dave Burny · · buffalo, ny · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 50

Hey Matt...

If you are around this upcoming week, I'm planning a few days there...

KarelH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

Hi Matt,

I have been climbing at the Gunks on and off for 35 years. I could go there with you M 4/17 or Tu 4/18 and lead some easier stuff. I have all the gear, and drive up from the Upper West Side.

Text or call 646 four two seven 2283 if interested.

Karl 

Kyle Eimicke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone, 

Just to piggyback off this great thread, I am going to head to CT for the summer starting in June and would love to check out The Gunks for some climbing. I am typically a sport climber but working on Trad until I get there in June. Typically a 5.10-5.11 climber though in recovery after shoulder surgery. I am just back on the wall but I've been working in a climbing gym in boulder, CO while recovering. Would love to meet up with people including yourself Matthew if you all are up for a partner.

Thanks.  9!Seven-ate2five-5two6f0uR

Mark Wyss · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 280

Hey all!  I am flying up to NYC tomorrow morning and will have a few days to spare while my wife is at work.  I would really love to do some moderates in the Gunks on Tuesday.  New Paltz forecast looks pretty good.  Shoot me an email/text if interested.  three1four 88two five4eight3

-Mark

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply