NYC to Gunks Climbing Partners Spring/Summer 2017 WEEKDAYS/AFTERNOONS

Original Post
JC Curcio · · New York, NY · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hey,

I'm looking for other climbers interested in mentoring me through the Gunks this spring/summer. I have a lean trad rack, 70m rope, crash pad, guidebooks, but most importantly a car. I live in Harlem (let me know if you want to hit Worthless Boulder) & work a fairly untraditional schedule (I often find myself free in the afternoons & on random weekdays). I'm currently climbing in the 5.11 range in gyms after coming off an injury (also looking for belayers at The Cliffs), but would want to start at a lower grade than that to get a feel for Gunks (plus will probably do an ARCing cycle to get back my forearm endurance/recovery). My GF is off on weekends and can climb with me one of the days, but I typically work at least one weekend day and am seeking climbers who would be available to head up from NYC on weekdays, beat the crowd and work on our craft. 

Mattchoo Laurence · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I have just started climbing at the Gunks, but I am not confident enough to lead or build anchors quite yet.  A few more outings and I think I'll be ready.  I have every piece of gear needed, including an extensive Trad rack.  I climb at Chelsea Piers, and would love to head up to the Gunks whenever possible.  Feel free to contact me if you're interested in getting together.

Jonathan Foster-Moore · · Florence, MA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys,

I've never been to the Gunks but a buddy from work and I are keen to get up there! He has a rope (probably 60m) and a full rack and a car. My "weekend" is Wednesday and Thursday. Would love to get my feet wet on some easier stuff (Gunks are notoriously hard for the grade) and really work on anchors as well. Let me know!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865
JC Curcio wrote:

Hey,

I have a lean trad rack, 70m rope, crash pad, guidebooks, but most importantly a car.  My GF is off on weekends and can climb with me one of the days.

Sounds good.  Send me a photo.  

Of your girlfriend.

j/k

Hope you find a good climber=mentor to climb with.

Owen McAndrew · · NY/VT · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I'm a college student in VT. I'll be back home in Westchester through the first week of June and looking to climb the Gunks. I've got gear and some knowledge of rock rescue and first aid. Let me know if you need a partner. I've hardly climbed the gunks at all and would love to.

Jonathan Foster-Moore · · Florence, MA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

When are folks headed up?? Weather is prime right now!

alexd81 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Anybody looking to climb Sunday? I'd like to, but my normal partner is unavailable. 

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 30

I'm nursing a sprained ankle but I should be able to head up to the Gunks on weekends in a few weeks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply