Elko, NV partner

Original Post
KyleSmith · · Elko, Nevada · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 182

Recently moved to Elko for work and I'm looking for people to climb with at nearby crags. I'm also looking for any beta about nearby areas. I like sport up to easy 5.10s and also bouldering. I haven't ever tried trad climbing but I'd be down to follow.

Thanks!

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 42

I will be working in Wells NV next week, and would be down to try some of these crags. I don't know anything about local spots, but I would totally be down to check some out. Trad/sport/boulder... it'd be fun to try something. Let me know via PM if you're available next week

What are the nearby crags??

KyleSmith · · Elko, Nevada · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 182

I've heard tale of a few tiny crags around Elko and then there is a larger hard sport limestone area slightly east of Wells called the Pequops. Additionally, south of Elko is Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mountains which is the only place I have actually been to and I have definitely found some bolted routes around although I have no legitimate beta on any of the climbs there or at any of the other crags. There is an old guide to Lamoille Canyon but I have not been able to locate a copy. The Pequops are apparently in the guidebook "Islands in the Sky" but it's also impossible to find.

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 42

Yes, I've heard of Lamoille Canyon, and seen discussion here on MP: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/107500528/elko-nevada-climbing. Never been there myself. 

I will be working in the Pequop Mountains all year, so I would interested in finding where these routes are. Found this thread (https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/107159903/pequop-summit-nevada-limestone-this-weekend). Chatting with some folks a month ago at ORG, I was told that a lot (relatively) of the limestone rock in eastern Nevada has been partially developed and a lot more exists for FAs. 

Also: http://www.nevada-rock-climbing.com/pequop_access_map.htm

Anyway, if you, or anyone, is around this weekend, the weather looks decent and I would be down to at least try those spots above in the Pequops. Could be a good adventure.

Warrior · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 310

The climbing at Pequop (well some of it) you can see from I-80.  It's pretty good limestone imo but sharp and of course (probably still) not well traveled.  You can see the main wall which from my spotty memory has some 12s and 13s, to the right of that wall there are some easier routes.  It's on the west side of the pass.  When we were there it was always parking that was cruxy.  This was well before Google Earth etc, so you may be able to suss out roads that reach the cliffs from your phone etc..  

I always wanted to recon Pilot Peak as it looked like there were big cliffs on that thing, but it was a long haul like most of "wild" Nevada.  Never got a round TUIT.

Didn't have a regular partner so mostly bouldering.  There's lots in Lamoille.  A couple of the better blocks from my memory were across the road from the Boy Scout camp 1/2 way up the canyon, but there's stuff all over.  Most of the roped stuff is near the entrance of the canyon.  Real good ice climbing, too.  I'll look around for that book, I had a copy at one time...Plenty more bouldering and scattered routes all over places like Ruby Pass (near Jiggs), Wells (angel lake), and some pretty good granite boulders iin the Simpson Park range, but with the aforementioned now you're getting into another is a pretty decent haul from Elko. glhf!

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Pilot peak gets done semi-regularly. 

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the granite cliffs I've looked longingly while driving past Oasis. Not sure they even have a name

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply