Mountain Project Logo

Owens River Gorge Access Update 4/12/17

Original Post
MisterE Wolfe · · Bishop, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,315

Access to Pub Wall is pretty much shut down (see pics); access to anything below Social Platform is ONLY accessible via the Lower Gorge entry at this point.

The DWP installed a fence above the upper Banana Belt xing - also, unknown parties removed the board for the upper BB xing.  (see pics).

Lower Gorge road:

Across from Banana Belt area:

Pub Wall - shut down!

Note closure fence just below Social Platform - also note Upper crossing to Banana Belt area is gone:

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 335

Wow, Eric. Lot's of activity. Thanks for the update. 

Eric MC · · Oakland, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 3

Planning a trip out to the ORG next week, it will be my first time there, so I don't know the lay of the land.  Does this affect a large portion of the climbing? Or is there still plenty of climbing accessible?

Thanks for the info.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Eric, if it's just whats pictured, you should be okay, although that's alot of popular stuff, so you'll see other crags busier.

I hadn't heard about the construction down there. Is there a time line and outline of what's being done and roughly what will be affected and when? 

kjohnson2 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15

I had some gear stashed near the Pub, right where they started digging. We looked all over for it, but  it was probably thrown into the truckloads of dirt hauled away. There was gear in a Yellow dry-bag and a stick clip. If anyone saw it or saved it, please message!! Thanks. :(

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply