Mountain Project Logo

Mt.Shasta climb and Castle Crags-May 5th-7th


Original Post
Tori T · · Oakland,CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hey, I'm looking to climb up Mt.Shasta Saturday and then climbing some routes at Castle Crags Sunday.. Planning to leave from the Bay Area Friday evening to Mt.Shasta. I've climbed Mt.Shasta several times on my own before, but it'll be nice to find a group to climb with. I have all my mountaineer gear, and usually climb up the Avalanche Gulch route. Let me know if interested. 650-208-5009

Tori

everbrad · · Orange County · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

You're crazy, badass or both for trying to do Shasta and castle crags in a weekend!

Most mere mortals do Shasta in two days or at start at night like me to get off the summit before noon. Also check conditions, there's got to be a shit ton of snow up there and the ava gulch route may not be in good shape right now. Lots of interweb resources out there to check conditions.

http://shastaavalanche.org/general-route-description/avalanche-gulch

Castle crags is awesome and is worthy of a weekend trip or longer in itself, don't listen to climbers who bitch about the long approaches and rock quality. 

Sam Bedell · · Bend, OR · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 354

Sounds fine to me. If you've done Shasta in a day before and know how you'll react it will be fine. I did Castle Crags and then Shasta in a weekend before, was pretty doable. 


C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

I was looking to climb Casaval ridge that weekend

Tori T · · Oakland,CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I'm open to Casaval Ridge too...Haven't done it yet...but if conditions are good. I'm down. 

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

Feel free to send me a PM as the date gets closer. The Shasta avalanche center has stopped forecasting, as long as the weather has been stable about a week before, I will likely be going

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply