Mountain Project Logo

Beginning climbing around Nashville

Original Post
James MaGuirk · · Thompsons Station, TN · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
  1. I've recently become very interested in starting rock climbing, I've been to most of the Gyms in the area and have enjoyed myself. What do y'all recommend purchasing gear wise, and where to go climbing. I already know basic climbing and belaying skills, but I'm interested in advancing to a more intermediate level.
Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

10 quickdraws, 1 (60 or 70 meter) rope, 4 lockers, 1- 48 inch sling, harness, shoes, ATC and carabiner, chalkbag.  The sling assumes you that you will make anchor rather than top roping through quickdraws.  That will get you up the sport routes around here.  Sandrock (AL) and Foster Falls are pretty friendly areas for beginners.  I would say at Foster Falls things get a lot more fun if you can lead 5.9- 5.10 outside.  

Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45

The Red and the Obed are pretty close to you. I'd recommend those areas, there's always people that need partners. Bring some beer and you'll make friends quick. 

Brandon's pretty much said everything you should get gear wise. 

Ezra Ellis · · Hotlanta · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Two 24 inch slings for clipping into and cleaning the anchor are mandatory .

Clip them to your belay loop and to each separate anchor bolt.

ALWAYS weight your repell device before unclipping from the anchor when cleaning.

Always center your rope or you may die rappelling off the end of your rope.

Better yet knot the ends of your rope.

Learn this well before venturing out on your own!!!

Mrock87 · · Nashville TN · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Kings bluff is only 45 minutes west of Nashville. Not world class climbing but the approach is short and pretty easy and the climbing ranges from 5.5 and up. 

Aunt Patty · · Fryeburg, ME · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 116
Mrock87 wrote:

Kings bluff is only 45 minutes west of Nashville. Not world class climbing but the approach is short and pretty easy and the climbing ranges from 5.5 and up. 

I climbed there while passing through. Pretty nice lil setup here, climbs are all marked at the base for the most part which was foreign to me

Derrick Keene · · Kentucky · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 95

I climb at the Red most weekends. If you want to jump in sometime let me know.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Beginning climbing around Nashville "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started