Career Opportunity, Great Location!

Original Post
Ryan Strickland · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 126

Idyllwild Arts Academy, in Idyllwild, CA, is looking to hire three full time teaching positions in the math and science department. Ideal candidates would be experienced or highly motivated to teach the following classes:

• Calculus and other math classes
  • Biology and Advanced Biology
  • Chemistry

I've worked at Idyllwild Arts teaching physics, astronomy, and some math for 4 years now and love it. It's a great location, good community and there are many perks to the job. I'll list some of the things I like about working here:

Work Related Benefits:

• 20 weeks of paid vacation a year (+/- a week, depending on the year). One week for Thanksgiving, 3 weeks for Christmas, 2 weeks for Spring Break, and 12 weeks for summer.
  • 403.b retirement plan with matching. Matching percentage depends on time worked and experience. It caps at 6% matching for teaching faculty.
  • Health Insurance, including dental and optical. I have the HMO plan and it costs $100/month for one. There is a PPO plan available for more money. Flex Spending Account available if you want it. 
  • Employer provided life insurance for cheap. Short-term and Long-term disability for cheap. All of this costs me less than $10/month. 
  • Free room and board in exchange for being a "Dorm Parent." I live in a nice, large 2 bedroom apartment with a fireplace and private patio. This is a fantastic deal in my opinion. Saves me more than $10,000 a year in housing and food at least, probably more. Also saves gas money and wear and tear on my vehicle because I walk to class. 
  • Opportunity to see some incredible arts and music performances. Our school specializes in art and music and the students are incredibly good. Probably 50% or more go on to be professional musicians and artists. These shows are all free.
  • Low stress teaching environment (at least in my opinion). We don't do any state/national testing and I'm free to make my curricula how I want, provided I'm doing a good job. Teaching day goes from 8am to 1pm. Full time teaching load is 5 classes, each with 10-20 students, usually 15. 

Outdoors Related Benefits:

• Less than 1 hour from your door to the base of Tahquitz Rock or Suicide Rock. I can fit in one or two afternoons of climbing during the week when the days are long. My weekends are often completely free to climb.
  • Less than 5 minutes walk or bike ride from your door to more than 20 miles of mountain biking/running trails.
  • Easy access to high country hiking trails and the PCT.
  • Less than 10 minutes drive to local bouldering, 45 minutes or so to Black Mountain bouldering.
  • Less than 2 hours drive from your door to Joshua Tree National Park. 
  • 4 hours drive to Red Rocks (Las Vegas). 
  • 6 hours drive to Bishop.
  • 7 hours drive to Zion National Park.
  • 8 hours drive to Yosemite Valley.
  • 2 hours drive to the nearest beach (Oceanside). 3+ hours to San Diego or Los Angeles depending on traffic. 4+ hours to Santa Barbara.

If you're interested in learning more, you can contact me by sending a private message or replying to this thread. If you'd like to apply for any of the positions, get your resume and cover letter together and send me a message and I'll forward your information to the right people. 

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Not to mention:

~2.25 hours to New Jack City.

~9 hours to the start of Sonora Pass.

~10 to highway 50 / 80 climbing  (east of Sac Town to Tahoe etc.)

John John · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

How far to the local knock shop?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply