Mountain Project Logo

Rock and Resole retail shop

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,265
Parker Wrozek wrote:

. $30 vs $36 is not that different in price either. 

Well, no, not when you account for having to ship the shoes... there is shipping then the process of boxing, labeling, etc...
Pick-up is obviously going to be cheaper for the shop.

jmapping · · Carbondale, co · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 788

I'm not sure I really need to add to this thread as this has been said by numerous people but in my experience Rock and Resole is the best place to buy shoes... unless of course they don't have the shoe you want.  I have never met anyone who knows shoes like them... Wondering what on earth there is to know besides the basics?  How about wanting a shoe that is more likely to withstand abuse, hold its edging power, and re-sole well?  Ask those basic questions to their team and they or Colby (1 of the owners) will talk to you about mid-sole construction, rubber quality, and general wear patterns based off of his experience of resoling that exact shoe for years.  Throw in the good advice for maintaining your shoes and a free half resole and you can't get a better deal without buying from Sierra Trading Post... Ohh, and the last time I did that I had to bring them into R&R to get fixed after 2 weeks of use because of a defect.

Bottom line... Go there and check it out.  

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

I dropped off four pairs in December and had to wait 4 weeks for them. But, they were done precisely on the date they said they would be, and all four pairs were done perfectly. I wouldn't think of going anywhere else.

Travis Provin · · Boulder CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 105

Seriously, you're jumping to conclusions. I dropped my shoes off and it still took them about 4 weeks to do, well worth the wait.

Mydans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 70

I've been taking my shoes to R&R for almost 20 years and had great service and relatively fast turnaround times.  I liked Eric a lot but the new owners seem cool and the work is still good quality.  I've taken them probably 30 resoles not including approach shoes and boots and always been happy with the work.  My 2 cents

squiddo Siddens · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 15
Don Morris wrote:

I learned on Saturday that Rock and Resole treats customers in two distinctive ways: Local and Non-Local. If you bring your shoes in the turnaround is a week. If you mail your shoes in the turnaround is four to six weeks. My wife sent her shoes in via mail. We live in Denver. It so happened we would be traveling through Boulder, recently and gave Rock and Resole a call to see if we could pick the shoes up. The pair had been with them for two weeks. Rock and Resole asked if she dropped them off or mailed them? The reason he explained is there are two piles or bins. One for drop-offs (locals) and one for mail orders (non-locals). Since it was in the mail order bin they would take a lot longer to get to. The drop-ins are first priority.

I had already switched to Yosemite Bum, http://yosemitebum.com, after noticing Rock and Resole taking longer and charging more a year ago. Yosemite Bum has a two day turnaround, lower costs, excellent work and offers discounts. What I really appreciate is the trust. I let them figure out the work needed, and that is what they do. I think my wife will be switching  to Yosemite Bum soon.

Rock and Resole may be a nice little local store, but that is all they are. Their branding is already fading nationally with the poor turnaround time, high cost, and now knowing they do not treat customers equally. This kind of thing seems to happen when the founder sells to those who only see dollar signs, and don't have a clue on running a business.

The cool thing is to know there are choices, and I can get my shoes done by a California company faster, cheaper, better and trusting the deal.

Dan, used both before. While YoBum does good work, I dont think they offer (didnt use to) Stealth C4 and only EVOLV rubber. maybe that changed....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply