Mountain Project Logo

Mountaineers Outdoor Expert vs Falcon Books?

Original Post
El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 55

It seems like both Mountaineers and Falcon publishers have "competing" books for a given topic.  For instance:

• Leubben's Mastering Basic Skills and Long's How to Rock Climb
  • Leubben's and Long's Climbing Anchors books
  • Fasulo's and Tyson's Self-rescue books

How do they stack up against one another?  Do y'all have a preference for one or the other in a given category?

Goat Slayer · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

In regards to the leubben vs long debate... you'd have to pick the books up to really find out, but in my opinion Long's are easier to read, more clearly illustrated, and in general slightly more detail-oriented and comprehensive with very modern, up-to-date content in the newest versions.

its kind of like government weather service versus private sector weather monitoring... the private sector tends to have better technology. In this case, Long is like the private sector. Mountaineers is like a government that has a perpetually bad reputation with SAR ;P

Jeremy B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

I have perhaps five of those six books.  Both contain similar technical content, but my preferred choice is the Falcon Guides for the reasons GrumpyCat already posted.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

For self-rescue it's no contest. Mountaineers is much easier to comprehend whilst being more comprehensive. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply