Mountain Project Logo

Stigma with staying in hotels?

Original Post
Rocky367 · · Maryland · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I was talking to someone about how I am taking a vacation and flying from the East coast to the West for seven days of climbing. I noticed they treated it like it was bad that I am staying in a hotel and not camping.  I noticed this happens often. I get negative feedback every time someone finds out we are not camping. We do camp on 80-90% of our trips but it just seems weird that staying in a hotel would gets so much negative feedback. Anyone know why? Is it a regional thing? Seems odd because there are so many reasons why someone might choose a hotel that I can't imagine why they'd assume it's bad. Just wondering if this is a "thing". 

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34

There's just so much public land to camp on for free in all the western states, and there's some satisfaction to using our great public land well. Clean camping, respecting the land, and heck if that means saving 50-100$ a night, even better. I just love exploring to find beautiful nook and making it home for the night. Plus the money savings means that if your vacation frequency is at all hindered by money, then you can do many more trips. During a typical week-long climbing trip, my two expenses are gas and if I do pay to stay somewhere, accommodation costs. Eliminating the potential hotel costs means that I, or anyone else, could do double the trips. That said, everyone's free to do as they choose. I can't imagine real negative feedback; just someone trying to feel good about themselves because they know how to sleep outside. I guess there's also the sense of community: broad strokes example, but compare camp 4 vs folks staying at the Ahwanhee (the majestic).

I used to camp exclusively for outdoor fieldwork for work but the ability to charge digital devices and organize in a hotel has led me to stay in the occasional hotel even when there's nearby camping.

justgoodenough · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 41

Talk to cooler people? I've never caught any flak for deciding to motel it in Moab, Squamish, or Vegas than dealing with camping.

ScoJo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 481

You do you, Rocky. Nothing wrong with staying in a hotel.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

If you have the means, and the hotel is convenient to the climbing then it is a no brainer.  

I hear restaurants are dank as well.

Tell the smelly hippies to STFU and loofa their asses once in a while.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Yeah, I always stay at motels, unless I have to camp (backpacking). After a fun day of hiking and climbing, I like coming back to my creature comforts.

Really doesn't matter what others think. Maybe jealousy?

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

You do you bud!

No rules to this, and I would say that you should ask such folks if they ice climb, and if they say yes, ask them how many hotels they've stayed in from Ouray to Cody (hostels count too) then drop the mic.

Rocky367 · · Maryland · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Haha! Thanks, sounds like it might be a regional thing.I was trying to understand the logic but I guess it was wrong to assume there is one! 

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

They're jealous that you're actually going to get a good night's sleep.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

What a bunch of baloney.  Stay where you want.  In Vegas, for example, a hotel not far from the crags is a much better set-up than the miserable wind-swept campground.  I've done both, and a hotel is the way to go.  Get a minifridge so you can store some breakfast items. You can get up and out much faster than the poor slobs trying to heat their coffee in the morning gale.  When I've stayed in a hotel, we regularly beat everyone to the climbs in the morning because it is so much easier to get organized and going from a hotel room.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

was just at Red Rocks.. Climbed all day headed to the hotel cleaned up ate well and got a good nights sleep.. Nothing wrong with hotels while on a climbing trip if its not outrageously expensive and its convenient  to the crag!!  

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

If you can afford a bed and a shower, go for it.

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Nothing wrong with a hotel. I had a friend get mad that I was staying in my car while his tent got hammered by wind...just jealousy.

Levi Painter · · Boise, ID · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I wish more people would stay in hotels to leave me all the good camping spots.   

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

#humblebrag?

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

motels have too much weird energy in them. one time we stayed at a dive in vegas. the white sands. spread our ground tarps over the bed and put sleeping bags on top of them..  If i have to get a motel because I am sdtuck in anurban area I will use the showe but still sleep in the van.....

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25

I like my creature comforts...  So I won't judge (much ;-) ) if you choose a hotel.

But to me motels/hotels largely don't provide them.  They are soulless place.  I love the freedom and the simplicity of camping.  Its part of the climbing experience for me.  That said I've stayed in houses (free or rented) on one or two climbing trips.  That's been convenient too.

Though I also have allergies.  And motels are my kryptonite...   So I'd prefer sleep outside if I'm not in my own clean home.

J A · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 45

Hotels can be great, depending on your circumstances.  The kind of people who would judge you negatively for it are not the kind of people I would want to associate with.  Also consider Airbnb offerings with climber hosts (like me).  The advantages over a hotel include: local beta if you ask, the loan of gear if you forgot something; flexibility with check out times and the ability to leave stuff or take a shower before getting back on a plane without having to pay for another day; a room that hasn't been cleaned with commercial chemicals; etc...

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

motels have too much weird energy in them. one time we stayed at a dive in vegas. the white sands. spread our ground tarps over the bed and put sleeping bags on top of them..  If i have to get a motel because I am sdtuck in anurban area I will use the showe but still sleep in the van.....

Don't be so cheap and stay in a better class of motels.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Marc801 wrote:

Don't be so cheap and stay in a better class of motels.

yeah, the nicer places have less jizz and bedbugs for sure

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Stigma with staying in hotels? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started