Mountain Project Logo

Bowman lake/emeralds conditions

Original Post
Chasing Choss · · California · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 416

Went up just under 2 weeks ago and couldn't even get to the trailhead for the emereralds climbs because the road was closed off. Anyone been up there recently to see if you can get there yet? I know the recent snow may put it off again for a week or two. Also looking for motivated people to climb with out there. Bowman in particular.

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

If you know that the snow that is currently happening as you typed would invalidate any response people might have based upon going up there between the time you got turned back and now during the current snowstorm, why would you ask now?

Melinda Russell · · Longmont · Joined May 2016 · Points: 10

My friends and I went out there about 2 weeks ago. We just drove passed the road closure barrier. There is a big pile of rocks about 20 feet long that you have to drive over once you get passed the signs. We didn't have any problems, but I did hear that rangers may patrol the road to see if anyone is parked at the Emeralds. A lot of routes were pretty dry, but others still had streaks of water running down them. There was no snow on the approach, minus small patches here and there. 

Had a great time!

Chasing Choss · · California · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 416
Melinda Russell wrote:

My friends and I went out there about 2 weeks ago. We just drove passed the road closure barrier. There is a big pile of rocks about 20 feet long that you have to drive over once you get passed the signs. We didn't have any problems, but I did hear that rangers may patrol the road to see if anyone is parked at the Emeralds. A lot of routes were pretty dry, but others still had streaks of water running down them. There was no snow on the approach, minus small patches here and there. 

Had a great time!

Thank you! This helped. High clearance vehicle needed to get through those rocks?

Melinda Russell · · Longmont · Joined May 2016 · Points: 10
Chasing Choss wrote:

Thank you! This helped. High clearance vehicle needed to get through those rocks?

Not necessarily. My Honda Element handled it just fine, and I wouldn't consider it a high clearance vehicle. Just no "low-clearance" vehicles, I guess. Ha. 

JT Aupetit · · Rosamond, CA · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 115

I drove past the bowman lake road on Friday 14th. Road was open at noon and some trucks with snowmobiles were going up there.  Drove back in the evening around 9pm and the closure signs were back up. ..

Paul Wright · · Grass Valley · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 30

Cautionary note: I was up there about a month ago and saw approx 6" wide bear tracks in the snow on the approach. Not implying you'll be eaten or attacked, but just to have your head on a swivel. They'll probably scare off as more upright-walkers start frequenting the area. 

Also, I parked at the road blocks and walked in. It was a good warm up and guaranteed not getting any guff for not heeding the blockade. Lets be cognizant of the rules, a little, so the whole community doesn't pay the price for a few's indiscretions. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of the fuzz, but having to suffer through the fuzz enforcing their minuscule power is even more infuriating. Wouldn't you agree???

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Bowman lake/emeralds conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started