THAILAND gear rental

Original Post
SendaGorilla Bishop · · Boulder · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 110

So, Im going to be traveling to Thailand (among other places) in a few weeks.

The thing is, I will only actually be climbing for 4 or so days (out of about 50). I really do not want to lug around all my gear for just a few days climbing in southern Thailand.

My question is:  Are there Outfitters/Guide Services etc in or around the Laem Phra Nang (Tonsai) area that would RENT me gear? (Rope, Draws, Belay device etc) ???

Or what about the possibility of hiring a "guide" that could just belay me and take me around to "the spots"? I am a seasoned climber...don't need "instruction"...but really just need the gear and possibly a competent belayer! (my GF is a total beginner.)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55

The first time I was in thailand I was in Railay and was trying out rock climbing for the first time(in 2012) and hired a guide, it cost me 800 baht for a half day IIRC.

last time i was in tonsai people were renting ropes and draws(this was in 2013).

Either way, something you want to ask yourself is: "Do I really want to rent climbing gear in thailand?" Thailand isn't exactly well known for its safety regulations. With that being said; I'd hope that business owners are intelligent enough to retire gear fairly quickly since news getting out about rental gear failing could be pretty disastrous for climbing tourism. 

SendaGorilla Bishop · · Boulder · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 110

That is a very good point dsauerbrun! I have thought of that...but, I am a guide myself and am pretty knowledgeable about gear. I am confident that I will be able to thoroughly inspect ANY and all gear that I would rent.

Thank YOU fro the beta tho  

Ryan Marsters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 848

There are a couple places in both Tonsai and Railay that sell a full kit and also rent ropes, rope mats, draws, and pretty much everything else in decent condition at reasonable but slightly higher prices than you might expect. The rental shoes aren't in the best shape. I thought the gear was decent enough, and certainly worth not getting my own gear salt-crusted. You can inspect the gear before renting.

Ben Murphy · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

Plenty of places to rent and all the gear seemed to be in good shape, especially compared to some of the mank you'll be clipping.  I brought my own shoes and harness but rented rope and draws.  If you're there in peak season and an intermediate climber (>5.11) it might be worth it to hire a guide for at least a day since the moderate routes are always slammed with guides.  Ask the guide which crags are less busy and hit them up the remainder of the time.  And make sure you do Groove Tube...personal favorite route there!

simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Yer Gonna Die.

Really though, throw a pair of shoes and a harness in your pack, it really won't make a huge difference. Meet some climbers and join them, you'll open yourself up to other possibilities.

I should add I spent over 2 years living, traveling and working with a climbing outfit in Asia. Our company was partially run by Westerners who were in the outdoor industry in their homes and brought those practices and standards to our company.

I have see some scary shit done by guides/outfitting companies in SE Asia. One example: letting a couple blitzed 19 year olds with zero climbing experience belay each other lying on the ground with joints hanging out their mouths. All while the 'guide' laughed and drank beer.

I also know how quickly gear degrades in those tropical climates and how hard/expensive it is to replace...

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 115

i was in railay and tonsai last year and found all of the climbing shops had an agreed upon rate of 800 baht per day to rent a rope (a bonkers amount of money).  we had brought shoes, draws, chalk, and atcs from home and were trying to save weight by not bringing a rope (we were international for 6 months and lugging a rope would be super lame).  we ended up cutting the climbing short to save money (a bummer) because the rope was so expensive to rent.

i'd recommend bringing a rope. 

Tim Heid · · AZ · Joined May 2009 · Points: 2,105

If you're climbing days are on the earlier end of your trip, you could bring an aging rope and donate it to one of the shops to help replace some of the threads and anchors out there once you're done climbing.  We did this after climbing in Thailand and Vietnam for a few weeks.  Donated it to Asia Outdoors (in Vietnam) after our last day. They were super grateful(got a free shirt!) and we gave a teeny-tiny bit back to a beautiful area we enjoyed. Plus it made traveling home much easier. Just a thought...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply