Mountain Project Logo

Hiking/Climbing bags??

Original Post
Jared Suppo · · Phoenix, Airizona · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I'm about to buy a hiking bag but can't decide on a size I've been looking at the Gregory 75,65 stout to carry my climbing gear (ropes,draws,towel hammock and lunch. possibly for  1-3 day long trips  but mostly day trips but I also plan getting my hands on trad gear this summer so I don't want to go to small but most of my trips will be a day or two long help please

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

There is no "one size fits all" backpack.  For day trips with climbing gear, you can go with around 40L (especially since you are carrying a hammock and, uh, towel).

Some people will advocate for smaller packs, such as 20-30L, but you'll be hard-pressed to get everything on the inside.

For overnight trips with climbing gear, you'd probably want around 60L. For multiday trips with climbing gear, you could go larger, depending on how long you will be out and how much gear you have.

Edit: As time goes on, you will accumulate multiple backpacks, so that you have the correct size for your objective. 

Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 290

My thought is that providing you don't want to wear the pack up a multipitch, bigger is not a problem. I've got a 90L that I can use for cragging, long approaches, or backpacking. But I'd never take it up a route with me. If I use it to carry gear to the base of a multipitch, I carry a small stowable pack for the climb. One of those REI packs that folds into it's own hood. That takes care of food, water, jacket, etc.

If I don't want to leave anything at the base, possibly because the descent is in a different direction, I take a 35-40L that can be cinched down to a lower profile, so it doesn't get in the way too much. If it's too big and bulky, it will be annoying.

Jared Suppo · · Phoenix, Airizona · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks a lot I appreciate it!

Kaihaku · · Kaneohe, Hawaii · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15

I've found that my 42 liter alpine pack(it has a floating lid and it feels like a 45) is great for 1-3 day backpacking and cragging.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply