Mountain Project Logo

Smith Rock partner some time April 28 to May 3?

Original Post
Harold Walmsley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I am visiting Oregon on business from the UK and have time available for climbing at Smith Rock (I can leave Portland early on 28th April and return late on 3rd May). I will have a rope and trad+sport rack. I climb up to about mid 5.10 but hear local grades are harsh so maybe less? I would like to arrange a partner for one or more days if anyone is interested. Otherwise maybe I'll do some bouldering and hire an MTB? 

Andrew Daniel · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Sent you a PM but meant Sunday 30th April as my availability. Cheers!

I was starting to think I had posted the wrong dates. 30th would be great for me. It would be good to hook up. To avoid surprises I am no spring chicken (67) but could still climb the grades I mentioned on a recent trip to Colorado. Whether I can at Smith depends on the relative grading. I have accommodation booked in Bend (the numerous brew pubs were a too-strong attraction) and will be driving in from there. Can meet at any suitable point and time.

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Hi Harold. That sounds like an amazing business trip. I'm not available during that time frame, but I live in Portland and could loan you my Smith Rock guidebook for your trip, as well as meet over a beer in Portland to give your an overview of the park if helpful.

Hi Chris, Thanks for the offer, I'm doing the climbing before the business though so its an overnight near the airport on arrival in Portland (probably not feeling much like a beer at that point!) then pick up a car and drive out to Bend in the morning.

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Ah, no worries! Have fun. Smith is amazing. If you climb 10s, there are some good routes over on the Phoenix Wall (Phoenix, JT's Route, Fred on Air) with Hissing Lamas as a warmup. Best in the morning on a cool day before you lose the sun around midday. 

Enjoy!

Andrew Daniel · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Harold, sounds good to me. As the day gets closer we can arrange a meeting time, possibly in Bend and drive to the park together, as it's known to get crowded and parking spaces are at a premium on spring weekends.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply