Gear testing video

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

A friend sent me a whole bunch of links in relation to a discussion we were having on belays and belay devices recently. Knowing some of you really enjoy geeking out on this stuff, here is a vid you might enjoy! And, yeah, hands to belay devices is what we were looking at, but I got seriously sucked into a whole lot of other great links (including Jim Titt's research on better belay devices), this is just one of them.

In Italian, but you'll get the gist. Just about everything, tested to failure. Have fun!

Best, OLH

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128

Good find!

For those who found the FF2 falls on slings interesting, here's a bump on this thread. 

This one came to me awhile back from rgold, along with a huge amount of other really interesting stuff.

Best, OLH

Mark Berenblum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

Great video and fancy drop tower! Those munter tests with the drop tower make me cringe. Even with good technique, hands are sucked right in. 

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 40

In the US we are truly in the dark ages when it comes to scientific knowledge and testing of climbing equipment.  We'll never match the resources of the European alpine clubs, but the scandal is that we somehow can't find the far lower level of resources needed to translate all the modern information from Italian, French, and German.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136
rgold wrote:

In the US we are truly in the dark ages when it comes to scientific knowledge and testing of climbing equipment.  We'll never match the resources of the European alpine clubs, but the scandal is that we somehow can't find the far lower level of resources needed to translate all the modern information from Italian, French, and German.

That's what bearbreeder was for. I guess canadians are actually useful after all.

eli poss wrote:

That's what bearbreeder was for. I guess canadians are actually useful after all.

You lobbying to be a hockey puck in this or a future life????

:-D

khammer · · Kinda All Over · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

For those watching, the auto-generated English caption translation on YouTube is pretty good. (Click "CC" to get Italian sub-titles, then click the gear icon to auto translate to English).

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 40

Pretty good?  As soon as the topic involves climbing terms, the translation is utter gibberish!

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136
Old lady H wrote:

You lobbying to be a hockey puck in this or a future life????

:-D

Wasn't planning on it, but I'd be willing to take one for the team if it gets BB back here. It's so much work having to actually dig up sources for info, don't know what you got till it's gone...

khammer · · Kinda All Over · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10
rgold wrote:

Pretty good?  As soon as the topic involves climbing terms, the translation is utter gibberish!

yeah, I might have jumped the gun with that assessment. once it got to the drop tower it was pretty useless.

khammer wrote:

yeah, I might have jumped the gun with that assessment. once it got to the drop tower it was pretty useless.

I got "im-poe-see-blay" just fine without translation!

Best, H.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply