Bay area crags that dry fast after rain?

Original Post
Mark Straub · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 25

I'm hoping to go climbing this weekend, but not quite sure where to go that would be dry.  Since most crags near the Bay are a good distance away in shitty traffic, it would be nice to go somewhere that I know will dry quickly.

This Sunday looks like great weather, but I'm worried about seepage.  I was thinking about going to the Grotto at Table Mountain- is this a good idea?  I feel like Mt. Diablo and Castle Mountain are probably not a good idea to climb on after rain.  How about Pinnacles?

Jake-up Casarez · · Santa Cruz CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Pinnacles has some good climbing, but it's also a choss factory...and that's when it's dry. Three days per day of rain minimum 

Ben Horowitz · · Berkeley · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 123

Howdy Mark! The Bear at Mt. St. Helena is a pretty good choice if it is sunny out since it gets a fair amount of direct sun and doesn't have much above to seep, but it looks like it will probably be rainy/cloudy there. The Grotto could be hit or miss as it doesn't get much rain due to the roof, but also doesn't get much sun because it is in a depression; I would think Gold Wall might be a nice option though because of the direct sun. Cosumnes River Gorge also gets a lot of direct sun, and the smaller formations there don't have much above to seep.

Pinnacles is definitely a no-go, as is Castle Rock and Mt. Diablo.

Nick Lozica · · Berkeley, California · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

East/ Indian rock dries out pretty quickly.

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 730

I've climbed at Pinnacles many times the day after a rain.  Usually it's fine.

It is not as fragile as the small-grained sandstone at Castle Rock and Mt. Diablo, where the 3-day rule to dry out really applies.

Maureen Maguire · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

The Bear is NO after heavy rain. A long explanation of local geology could ensue but it's no, let it dry.

Mark Straub · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 25

I'd be interested to hear more about geology.  Just the Bear, or the rest of Mt. St. Helena too?

Gold Wall is looking like the best option right now, I think.

By the way, Clint, I probably spent 100+ hours in high school reading through your Index topos and getting psyched.  Just wanted to thank you for making those available!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply