Echo cliffs easy street closed?

Original Post
Thatcher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

I'm unfamiliar with this area and I can't tell if it's closed from the MP description mentioning a closure in that area.

anyone with some insight? If so, any other good areas in SM mountains with good 5.7-5.9 routes grouped together?

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

Hi.....   no no climbs are closed. The NPS is so lame they can even explain what is closed. I will explain..... Ben Chapman and friends cleaned all of the vegitation off of some of the walls in the Grotto (first climbs on your left at the bottom of the trail.) The grotto is nice and shadey and a good place warm up while waiting for the good stuff to get into the shade on hot days. Chapman and crew scrubbed off these protected plants to get to the good stone underneath .... they rap bolted in some climbs, 6, I think along the south side. Park service took one look and blew up (rightfully so IMHO) .... they closed the place down. 

Some people who had some pretty good connections with the MAN worked out a deal..... the 6 climbs were removed, but the uguly bare walls remain sans plants .... these will take about 100 years to return. 

Here is the stupid part.... they (NPS) posted a notice stating that the Grotto and listed the removed climbs by name, as closed..... but the local Ranger told me- to my face- that the only climbs closed are the ones listed and those have been removed but the remainder of the climbs in the Grotto are open. 

So if you go there please be respectfull of the plant life and don't litter.....  The wide open lust for new roots and fame and fortune almost cost all of us access to this fine climbing spot. 

Ben Chapman.... if I got any of this wrong please feel free to jump in and tell "your side" of this compleatly boogus act. 

Thacher.... have fun. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply