Mountain Project Logo

Best Time For West US Van Trip?

Original Post
Matt Segler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I am trying to find a time to live the van life and climb (sport and bouldering mostly) around the Western (mostly, always open to move around as weather dictates) United States. My options are fall semester, spring semester, and summer semester. Which of these times will lead to the best rock climbing ? What are the pros and cons of each of these times? Any guidance would be appreciated. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

I'd pick the fall as the best season. So many climbing areas that are too hot in the summer become comfortable in the fall. Plus, everything is dried out, so you don't have deal with climbs that are seeping from the rains, like in the spring.

Have fun.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Fall is best for climbing pretty much everywhere. For the west/southwest, fall into winter brings the best temps for the widest array of areas.

dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55

Another opportunity to whore my website out! I built climbcation.com to help plan climbing trips. You can play around with the climbing types, time of year, map, etc... to narrow down your options. If you click on a place you'll get more specific trip beta(ie. tips about saving money, how to get there, accommodation, etc...). Once you're set on a place you can use a site like mountainproject to drill down into deeper details like route info.

The site is all wiki style so feel free to add info if you think anything is missing and let me know if you've got any feedback!

ryanb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 85

Fall is the best bet for hitting classic areas in perfect conditions, especially across the south west, utah, california etc where summer is really hot.

However if you live where summer is hot it may make more sense to climb locally in the spring and fall and use your road trip to chase cooler temps to the north and/or at higher elevation.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply