Mountain Project Logo

Five Ten Approach Pro sizing

Original Post
LLubchenco · · Lander, wy · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

Hi MP,

Wondering if anybody has had any experience with the new approach pro. I'm an 11 in the guide tennie and love it, but there's a little break in time to get them to be comfortable (I'm in between an 11 and 11.5). Anybody tried these on? Are they as comfy and wearable as the guide tennie? Worth changing it up, or just stick to what I know? 

Thanks!

Luke 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I  have a pair of the Approach Pro and the Guide Tennie, but I can't remember what size I got for the Approach Pro. The two big differences that I notice are the Approach Pro is probably only going to work on a narrow to medium width foot, which I have. They are also going to be less durable than the Guide Tennie, the ever present sole delamination notwithstanding. I haven't had the Approach Pro long enough for them to get destroyed, but they are much less beefy than the Guide Tennie. The place where I think the Approach Pro will shine is as an approach shoe that you can take with you on multipitch and use as a walk off shoe too. It is very light and has a good sticky sole and will compress well in a summit pack or not weight too much clipped to the back of a harness. They are kind of in the same category as the Evolv Cruzer, but maybe a little more durable and with Five Ten Rubber. 

LLubchenco · · Lander, wy · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

Thanks Ryan! Anybody else have any experience? 

Josh Lipko · · Charlotte · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

I  have a pair of the Approach Pro and the Guide Tennie, but I can't remember what size I got for the Approach Pro. The two big differences that I notice are the Approach Pro is probably only going to work on a narrow to medium width foot, which I have. They are also going to be less durable than the Guide Tennie, the ever present sole delamination notwithstanding. I haven't had the Approach Pro long enough for them to get destroyed, but they are much less beefy than the Guide Tennie. The place where I think the Approach Pro will shine is as an approach shoe that you can take with you on multipitch and use as a walk off shoe too. It is very light and has a good sticky sole and will compress well in a summit pack or not weight too much clipped to the back of a harness. They are kind of in the same category as the Evolv Cruzer, but maybe a little more durable and with Five Ten Rubber. 

They are certainly beefier than the Cruzer.  I wore them out of the box to Windy Peak in Red Rock (that's a hike for a NC climber) - they had no break in period and performed very well on the slabs.  I was glad to have them as they were very light in a pack on the climb.

On the hand, I wore a pair of Cruzers out of the box to Ship Rock in NC (a short but sometimes scramble-y approach) and the insoles were trashed.  I wear them around town now but never climbing. I would definitely recommend the Approach Pro as a multipitch/walk-off shoe over the Cruzer.  I would compare them to the La Sportiva TX2 before comparing them to the Cruzer.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I checked my size on these over the weekend. My Guide Tennies are size 11 and the Approach Pro are size 11.5. As Josh points out they are more substantial than the Evolv Cruzers. My point was more about the style and weight than anything. They do seem more durable, but not as durable as the Guide Tennies. However, the Approach Pro are much nicer if you have to carry some shoes for a walk off descent than the Guide Tennies. Have fun. 

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 80

10.5's seemed big for someone who wear's 10.5 in all other street/dress shoes. 

btw.  they're stiff and have virtually no padding.  they're really not great shoes, unless you're constantly walking through talus or on slabs.  Good sticky trail runners would serve your knees better (LaSportiva, Salomon, etc).    make sure you get yourself some Dr. Scholl's.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply