Low Budget Lake Powell Trip

Original Post
Charlie Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

A few of my friends and I (college students) want to spend a four-day break deepwater soloing at Lake Powell, but we don't know how cheaply we can do this. Do any of you know of free camping? Which parts of the lake should we spend the most time? Is kayaking an effective mode of transportation, or is it necessary to have a motorized boat? What kind of licenses are required? Any information within or beyond the scope of these questions is welcome.

Taylor Palmer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I would suggest renting a boat. The lake is so huge you will spend most of your time paddling a kayak rather than climbing.  You can rent boats straight from the marina (call to reserve ahead of time cause they usually are sold out during busy season) or if you have a vehicle to tow a boat you could rent one from a private person and tow it to the lake, try ksl.com classifieds. 

Where to camp: Lake powell has awesome beach camping. Everything is free.  Go out on the lake and find a cool beach down a slot canyon

No licenses required

There are 2 main marinas to access the lake, bullfrog/halls crossing to the north, and wahweep to the south. 

It can be miserably hot in the summer. Pack twice as much water as you think you'll need. The only place on the lake to buy supplies is the marinas. 

Hope you enjoy your trip

Nick Thomas · · Fargo, ND · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 30

I've never been there but having looked into it I've heard depending on the water levels the rock can be less than ideal, at least near the bottom.  I have no idea what it's like now.

Dunno if you've heard of it but it looks like there's some sweet DWS in Clear Creek, AZ too.  A couple dozen routes are on MP even.  Worth a look at least.

Again, not speaking from experience but just a couple things you might want to look into if you're actually gonna take the trip.

Brent Herb · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

Go to clear creek outside of winslow!! Absolutely incredible

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply