Mountain Project Logo

City of Rocks current conditions

Original Post
zach cook · · Boise, ID · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 312

HAs anyone been out to COR in the past 2 weeks or less? Looking to head out there 4/7-4/10. Hoping for at least semi dry roads and dry south/west faces.

thanks,

Zach

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

The bold and the cold have been getting after it:

https://www.facebook.com/CityOfRocksNPS/

They're pretty good about frequent updates and pictures too.

CTdave · · Victor, Id. · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 221

I went down there 3/15 16 and 17.  All the rock was dry in any direction.  Temps were super warm in the 50's and maybe 60's with sunshine while i was there.  The road was passable to bath rock but after that it was knee deep post holing that just got worse as we tried to make it to the bread loaves.  We said screw it and turned around.  Snow free camping spots were easy enough to find but you have to poke around a little.  The water pumps were still shut off so plan accordingly, not sure if it still is.  I think the ranger at the visitors center said they might be turned on 4/1 but i dont really remember.  The pump down at the gas station was working though.  Castle rocks had much less snow on the ground and everything was dry there too.  I'm heading back down this tues- thurs so hoping the rock is still dry.  Oh and Rock City wont be making pizza until mid April but their beer coolers are stocked!

zach cook · · Boise, ID · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 312

Thanks for the detailed information! Looks like rain and then some this weekend, so perhaps another weekend.

michael faith · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 760

Anyone visit more recently? I'm looking to be there early next week until the 6th of May or so. 

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

I could be persuaded to go there for a week of climbing before heading west. Contact ASAP

sclair · · SLC, Ut · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 30

I was there this weekend. Cold and raw under the clouds when the moisture came in yesterday, but the nights were surprisingly warm. We just chased what would be sunny rock and it wasn't too bad. I didn't bring long underwear bottoms and that was a mistake. Great friction :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "City of Rocks current conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started