Organizing your haul line?

Original Post
Don Wilson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

I'm a long ago wall climber now re-learning and psyched to do more walls. I gotta say, the allfrifi is one of the greatest inventions ever.  

But back on topic; I've never had a good method for making it easy to organize the haul line for easy feeding.  As the haul line comes up with the pig, I've generally flaked the line in a sling or tied off knots every so often.  This works fine, but the rope ends up backwards.  The free end, that the leader will haul up later, is at the bottom of the flaked/looped line.  We've typically just used one of two options. Either reflake/stack the haul line to reverse it, or just let the belayer deal with feeding it out, which can be messy and result in a cluster.  

Is there a better way to deal with this issue?  

Jeffo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 260

Hi,

I think the best way to do this is to have a rope bucket nearby where you are hauling, and to haul some, then bag, haul more, then bag, like in 30 or 50 foot increments.  

Best,

Jeffo

John Greer Jr. · · modesto, ca · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 95

1- load haul line in hauling deveice

2- clip haul line end (w/ biner) to anchor on a side opposite the fixed lead line.

3- tie clove or figure 8 on a bight and clip to the same biner from above making a small loop of rope.

4- as you haul flake the rope on this loop in consecutively smaller flakes

5- once the little piggy is up to your anchor dock and fix the bag to the anchor and re-flake the rope on the piggy with the free end of the line ready for the next leader.

the rope bucket makes the re-flake process easier too

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh,NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 30

Not big walling, but for my trail line when leading in blocks I butterfly it into a sling or over my my tie as I pull it up - small loops to big loops. Once it's all up, I flip the whole thing over and drop it into a sling. Never have feeding issues as long as you are neat with your loops.

Either that or haul it up and flake it like normal, then just hand over hand it into a rope bucket.

EJN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 198

Don, a bit OT but I'm curious what the alfrifi set-up looks like. Is it just two normal pocket daisys and the alfrifi? Do you have everything on your hardpoints or on belay loops?

Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775
Ethan Newman wrote:

Don, a bit OT but I'm curious what the alfrifi set-up looks like. Is it just two normal pocket daisys and the alfrifi? Do you have everything on your hardpoints or on belay loops?

This is my set up. It has served me well for harder overhanging climbs where you are testing a lot. I really like having the shorter fifi in addition to the alfrifi.

Don Wilson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

Ethan - yeah, two normal daisies and the allfrifi.  All on hard points, not belay loop.  So far, I've been ok without a normal fifi also.  That's more stuff, so I'm going to avoid it as long as possible.  I recently spent some time with Dave Allfrey picking his brain on his technique, and got to see his museum of original allfrifis.  Should have taken a pic.  Anyway, my approach mimics his advice.  

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

Rope bags, baby, rope bags.

End of discussion.

Contact Skot Richards to buy an Alfrifi.

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 100
Mark Hudon wrote:

Rope bags, baby, rope bags.

End of discussion.

Contact Skot Richards to buy an Alfrifi.

Are there any specific types of rope bags or buckets that you'd recommend? Especially for when soloing.

Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

Are there any specific types of rope bags or buckets that you'd recommend? Especially for when soloing.

The FISH snake charmer is pretty nice 

Jeffo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 260
JCM wrote:

I have 3 BD rope bags which is nice because when I want to go out and do some multipitch at the gunks per se, I can pick which rope I want.  

But I second the snake charmer from FISH...http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/big_wall.html

My general game plan would be to set up the lead and haul line on the ground in the BD rope bag and to either bring up or tag up the snake charmer to the anchor with me.  Then they'd basically flip flop.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

Using the clip loops to a large biner works well. Every twenty feet or so, tie an overhand and clip it tot the biner and repeat (may have to use multiple biners.) Then when the next pitch starts, spin the biner allowing the order of the loops to effectively reverse. 

But I don't do this, i use a snake charmer and just reflake the rope once the bag is docked. 

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

Don't spend a lot of money on your rope bags. A large Metolius Wall bag is perfect.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

If you're only doing a few walls, those IKEA blue bags with a bit of duct tape to reinforce certain areas will last almost through a full walk and come in at about $3 each

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply