Rainbow wall approach beta

Original Post
mac gilbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 0

Just looking for any helpful hints on approach bets to rainbow wall. Considering parking out on the main road and starting before the loop opens. 

Thanks!

Jeff G. · · Fort Collins · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 820

I've parked at the loop exit and started the hike before the loop road opens.  There is a hiking trail from the exit that takes you to the oak creek parking lot.  Maybe 20 minutes of hiking.  Might be good to find the trail the day before in the daylight.  

Once you're in the wash stay to the hikers right side of the canyon and follow cairns through the big boulders.  Once out of the boulders it is pretty easy to stay on the cairned trail.  No fixed lines anymore to get up onto the slabs below Rainbow Wall but easy climbing takes you to the left of the water fall and up to the slabs.  Rap bolts are above the water fall and to skiers left for the way back down.  

Thanks Jeff!

Jeff G. · · Fort Collins · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 820

One other note Mac.  The hike isn't as burly as some of the books make it sound like.  We did it from the highway to the base in 2.5 hours.  That was 7 months before I had to have a hip replacement and I was moving pretty steady but not fast at all.  Younger and fitter parties are doing it in 2 hours or less pretty easily.  

Have fun up there.  The regular route is amazing!!

Weston L · · Summerlin, NV · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 738

First trip up there took my partner and I 2 hrs (from Oak Creek).  Went back a bit more fit and with another partner and it took us 1:10 (via Pine Creek, but not the cause for difference in time) and I don't hike that fast.  As others have said, it is truly spectacular up there....enjoy!

Thanks for all the info!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply