Petzl Spirit Lockers

Original Post
Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 301

At last years RRR I was just bouncing from booth to booth and trying to find a replacements for my mammut element auto-lockers ( now discontinued   ) and the Petzl guy was like "Were coming out with a full line of lockers in the spirt this spring" ..... never happened lol..

Flash forward to RRR this year and they actually had one of each at the booth to play with (the twist lock version shown here) really nice , super light .... shoulda took a picture in my hand for scale but its still the size of a regular spirit . Might be old news but I thought I'd share since it seems like a lot of the small autolockers are being phased out ( I've heard camp is going to discontinue the Orbit as well ) . Supposedly drops in May.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

That awesome. The other two companies that used to make a small D auto locker stopped making them last year. No idea why, they're the best locker for the grigri if you don't like twist locks... 

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 301

I don't remember who told me or if it was just something random on the internet but I heard it had something to do with getting autolockers certified by whoever ..... that moving forward they all had to be "3 stage opening" so like push a button and twist then push the gate in or like pull up or down then twist then push the gate in. How true that is or not who knows but I feel like everyone has a "3 stage" locker now.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

That's the Sm'D https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/New/Sm-D 

Seems that some of the arborist shops have them but I haven't seen them at any outdoor gear sites yet.

If you want a smallish twist-lock, another option is the DMM Shadow.

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 23

According to Petzl, they'll be available in May. 

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128

They are already out in the screwgate version. A friend has several of the screwgates in black.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply