Mountain Project Logo

Rumney after snow

Original Post
peterfogg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I was hoping to get up to Rumney this Sunday but the snow forecast has gone from "eh" to pretty harsh. I'm guessing that I should just try again later, but does anyone know if there might be some climbable rock within 24 hours of the snow subsiding? I'm guessing Main Cliff might be doable, but since it's a two-ish hour drive I'm not inclined to head up if there's not a ton of routes to get on. For what it's worth I'm looking for mostly easier routes (5.10 and below) since I'll be with my girlfriend to give her an intro to outdoor climbing.

Zach Swanson · · Newton, MA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 38

The approach might suck pretty bad with a foot of frozen slush to get through.

Ian Grant · · Cambridge · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

Not much below 5.10 after snow. Some 5.10's at Main Cliff are doable if you watch out for falling ice. 

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

Not worth it for under 5.10.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

Sounds like a good way to get your g/f to despise outdoor climbing and/or you!

Calvin Coffin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

We're definitely gonna get a little bit smacked up here, and for the best introduction to climbing you'll want your gal to be able to feel her fingers.

DRusso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 380

Definitely for the sake of your relationship skip Sunday. You want to avoid any situation where your partner (girlfriend in this case) could be more than one of the following: wet,cold,tired, or hungry.  Any of those things are fine on their own, even wet and tired is okay if its sunny and you're well fed, but once you put yourself in a situation to be cold,wet,and tired you are setting yourself up for a bad time.

Personally if I was gonna introduce someone to outdoor climbing at Rumney, especially if that person was my spouse, I would go on a sunny week day in the 60's. Both of you take off work and have an awesome day.

peterfogg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Well, thanks for confirming what I didn't want to admit to myself. I really hate NE spring sometimes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply