Mountain Project Logo

Forum Changes

Original Post
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Please roll back these changes to the forums. They hurt my eyes to look at now.

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191

Give it some time, and your eyes will adjust. 

Not enough contrast in the colors they used. The white space to the right of the user's name is annoying and takes up to much room. The spacing in the main page causes the rows to take up to much room meaning I can't see as much content as I used to.

A forum is there to see post and content but with this new version I can't see as much content and see more stuff I don't care about and wasted space.

The edit function is better on this new version except for still to much white blurring together needs better contrast with the border / menu

t.farrell wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the font size is way too large now?

Headers are way to big now, button font size is a little big but the big white spacing around it doesn't help either.

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330

Any time they make a change users just love to bitch about it. Whatever, looks fine to me. In a couple weeks you won't even remember what the old one looked like. 

The biggest problem though is probably the thread paging. You now have to open the post on the first page and than click to go to the last page. You used to have the option to open straight to the last page or the page before the last. Why was this changed I don't know but it is one of the most important features on a forum. When I am following a thread I know the last page I was on and normally go to the next to the last page to pick up where the last post is.

Now you have to open to first page, click to go to the last page, than click to go back 1 page.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Not too bad. Quick reply is nice, better composition and editing tools. Agreed on too much white space though. I'm sure it's a work in progress. Big thanks to the developers for actually putting in time to improve the site, a thankless job that mostly just draws complaints in the short term but usually has long term benefits.

We can now like posts, which is an interesting development.

Glenn Schuler wrote:

Any time they make a change users just love to bitch about it. Whatever, looks fine to me. In a couple weeks you won't even remember what the old one looked like. 

It is still far better than rockclimbing.com so it isn't likely to drive me to that yet.

1) Move the access fund icons under the user's picture maybe shrink pictures slightly so it doesn't take up to much horizontal space (save like a good inch of content space)

2) Add a little more contrast between post

3) Add back in the option to pick pages when opening a thread

4) Shrink down the white space / size on buttons and headers

David Kutassy · · Charlottesville, VA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

Looks great on the app with my iPhone. Huge improvement over the old version.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Thanks for the comments folks.  We are definitely reading them, taking them into consideration, and of course things will evolve.

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

Line spacing is much too big on desktop. Probably good for mobile to make it easier to click links, but between the line spacing and the wide margins there's an awkward amount of white space on the forum pages when using a desktop browser.

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

the left gutter is a bit too wide, maybe even the user info column, too - having the text of the posts not start until 1/3 across the screen doesn't feel comfortable to read. Otherwise, i like the direction the re-design is taking

and a 2000 char limit? beautiful!

Andrew Williams · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

I agree that the enormous amounts of white space in the margins is too much and hurts the eyes. 

ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10

The excess white space and increased post spacing is a bad move, for all the reasons already stated.  So is the lack of a "go to last page" link in the header (although I would be ok with the latter if an option for inverting the post order were to be added to the user preferences -- now that would be a useful modification to the site).

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098
ubu wrote:

the lack of a "go to last page" link in the header (although I would be ok with the latter if an option for inverting the post order were to be added to the user preferences -- now that would be a useful modification to the site).

Several folks have commented on this and I'm confused because I think we have that feature:  On a forum page, if you click the topic title, you go to the first post.  If you click the timestamp (on the right) of the "Last Post", you go directly to the last post.

Maybe this is too subtle?  Or am I missing the issue?

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

I myself have always been a fan of comic sans, think of it as avant garde.... thoughts?

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

Overall looks good to me! 

That said, can't seem to insert pics now and tossing sh*t-tons of errors in the console mainly this guy isn't happy:

climb-main-024c38a231.js:2 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'jQuery220098766823352741052' of undefined    at a.get (climb-main-024c38a231.js:2)    at access (climb-main-024c38a231.js:2)    at Function.data (climb-main-024c38a231.js:2)    at HTMLDivElement.e (climb-main-024c38a231.js:11)    at HTMLFormElement.dispatch (climb-main-024c38a231.js:2)    at HTMLFormElement.m.handle (climb-main-024c38a231.js:2)    at Object.trigger (climb-main-024c38a231.js:3)    at Object.simulate (climb-main-024c38a231.js:3)    at HTMLDocument.i (climb-main-024c38a231.js:3)

Appears to fire on every keyboard event when typing in the text field. I'm on a mac using chrome Version 57.0.2987.110 (64-bit) for trouble shooting.

Nick Wilder wrote:

Several folks have commented on this and I'm confused because I think we have that feature:  On a forum page, if you click the topic title, you go to the first post.  If you click the timestamp (on the right) of the "Last Post", you go directly to the last post.

Maybe this is too subtle?  Or am I missing the issue?

I think so many people are used to on most forums having the page selection next to the thread's title that most will overlook that. Heck I am a software engineer and I completely overlooked it.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

Thanks for all your hard work, and continuing to work to improve the site! Here's my feedback:

1. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it seems far more difficult and unpleasant to read now. 

2. Can you bring back the button to take you directly to the latest post in a thread, rather than having to click through to the end every time you return for an update?

3. What's the reason for the character limit? While there are many posts I don't consider worth reading, length has never been the determining factor in that - and some of the most useful posts (technical discussions, trip reports, accident reports) are long by nature. Regardless, people who want to type a lot still will, they'll just have to break it into separate posts, as we've already seen happening - so I'm imagining the perceived problem is not really being solved. 

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 410

I'm reading on an iPhone and it's giving me a lot of eye strain too - not sure if it's the font size, type, or color contrast, suspect it's a combination. Haven't looked at it on a computer yet. 

Also agree on the page selection option - on multi page topics, I often stop reading midway and want to go back to that place, or sometimes several pages will be added on a hot topic between my visits. Only having 1st and last page options is kind of a pain. 

Thanks for your efforts and taking the feedback! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Forum Changes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started