Mountain Project Logo

planning sierra trip for summer

Original Post
Dale Drop · · Burlington, VT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 45

Hey guys,
A friend and i have decided we want to head up to the incredible hulk this summer, around july/august. I've been looking into it, and the permit systems seems quite confusing. On the gov website there are only "overnight" or "cross country" permits. We were hoping to head in from Mono village, and set up a kind of base camp under the hulk, in hopes of spending 10-15 days up there climbing different walls and routes.

looking for help with:
-logistics of where to set up shop
-what permits/how to get them
-which other routes to check out in the vicinity (i have my eyes set on positive vibrations and sunspot dihedral, although this may be a bit ambitious)

We both have experience on walls this high, but not in the alpine setting.

thanks!

-Dale

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 551

Caveat - I have not climbed the Hulk or in Hoover wilderness.

I do believe this is the info you are looking for to get a bc permit for the Hulk

fs.usda.gov/detail/htnf/abo…

Dow Williams · · St. George, Utah; Canmore, AB · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 240

10-15 days is a load under the Hulk...so I will share a couple of routes that are less often climbed for you...enjoy your trip. Escape from Poland, 5.10d, the Iron Curtain Roof is the crux Outguard Spire, 5.10d, a bit chossy, more alpine flare to it

Rude Boy · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 835

Personally I have never really bothered with getting permits anywhere in the Sierra, except for the Whitney zone. That's the only place I have seen or heard of rangers actively checking for permits.

You are going to have to pay for parking at Mono Village though. Not sure if they have a limit. It's privately owned.

monovillage.com/

I haven't done this yet but heard good things.....

mountainproject.com/v/north…

With that amount of time you could do the Sawtooth traverse. Those Sierra ridge traverses are radness!!!

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 551
Rude Boy wrote:Personally I have never really bothered with getting permits anywhere in the Sierra, except for the Whitney zone.
Shhhhh! You are not supposed to say that out loud on the inter-tubes.
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
Rude Boy wrote: Personally I have never really bothered with getting permits anywhere in the Sierra, except for the Whitney zone. That's the only place I have seen or heard of rangers actively checking for permits. You are going to have to pay for parking at Mono Village though. Not sure if they have a limit. It's privately owned. http://www.monovillage.com/ I haven't done this yet but heard good things..... https://www.mountainproject.com/v/north-buttress-aka-the-dragrace-aka-the-dragway/105986696 With that amount of time you could do the Sawtooth traverse. Those Sierra ridge traverses are radness!!!

I understand that permits are a pain, but aside from C Brooks acknowledging that you shouldn't admit to wrongdoing on a public site, it's a douchy move.  I don't need to get into the whole reason why we have permits and how they minimize over use, etc.  Rude Boy knows this.  If you want a permit and are flexible on your dates, you will get a permit.  I agree that 10-15 days is a long base camp anywhere in the Sierra.  There's so much good rock all over, why limit yourself?

Ben Horowitz · · Berkeley · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 123

It is pretty easy to pick up permits at the ranger station near Bridgeport, CA. There is a quota, but I don't think they often run into it. If you are worried, you can arrive on an "off" day (i.e any day other than Friday or Saturday) and you will 100% guaranteed. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply