Mountain Project Logo

Climbing with wedding ring?

Original Post
Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi All,

So I read an oblique reference in another thread/post that cautioned against climbing in a wedding ring as a categorically bad idea. I can imagine why, though it doesn't seem all that dangerous. I would appreciate hearing thoughts on this and getting a sense of whether there is a clear consensus.

Also, what is the likelihood that my ring contributed to an A2 pulley strain on that finger?

(My ring is quite difficult to remove, so would have to be resized if I need not to climb in it. Just hoping to learn whether this is something I need to do. )

Thanks,
-marco

Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

My bigger concern would be degloving injuries. Imagine your ring getting caught on a hold as you fall...

RangerJ · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 65

Degloving is a serious injury you risk by climbing with a ring.

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

Resizing a ring is quite cheap, definitely do not want to wear it climbing! Put it on some thin cord around your neck if must have it with you.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

Well i was gonna have bfast in a min but I'll wait now...

Norm Rasmussen · · North Jersey · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 866

I always take mine off, mostly because the metal clangs against the rock and is more slippery than my finger.

The smallest of crystals that would otherwise leave you with a cut or better yet, a scratch, can cause some serious injury as those pictures show. Heck, those pictures alone should have you taking it off if you're climbing!

Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306

In the past I've put my ring on cord around my neck, though this could also be potentially dangerous depending on the cord and how it's tied. These days, my wife and I just leave our rings at home.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

I've seen quite a few climbers wishing to communicate their marital status sport rubber/silicone rings.

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 70

I see a couple wedding band degloving injuries a year where I work. They're hard to rehab and not worth the risk.

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

QALO and Enso both make silicon rings. There are a few others out there too.

For climbing (especially cracks), even the silicon ones are detrimental. A ring on a necklace is probably the best choice.

I haven't worn mine in years. Finger diameter kept changing based on climbing season and climate. Neither does my wife, so, there are no hard feelings over the matter.

Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Okay. I'm convinced. Wow! That's some pretty compelling evidence. Really sorry for those of you who have gone through this. Glad I asked. Off to the jeweler today. Thank you so much.

(Um, its it okay if I stop reading my own thread now?)

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Charlie S wrote:QALO and Enso both make silicon rings.
Been wearing and climbing in one for years with no issues.
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Should be a warning on this page. I did NOT see that coming, although I should have. Barf!

Tyler Wood · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Just get a divorce, worked wonders for me...

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635
Tyler Wood wrote:Just get a divorce, worked wonders for me...
Or a tattooed wedding band. I did this after seeing some pics of degloving injuries.

Then I got divorced anyway. So, actually, divorce is the best option.
Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

#1 problem is as illustrated quite graphically in the photos above. A secondary problem is that it also damages the ring--abrasion and scratching. My ring does not remove easily either and I usually resort to using Windex or a heavy glob of lotion to get it on/off--just be sure it doesn't fling off into some hidden universe as it pops off your finger (I lost one that way).

Matthew Williams 1 · · Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 85

If you wear it on a chain, make sure the chain is soft metal with a regular clasp that is pretty much guaranteed to break under body weight. Best for it to come off than to get choked to death or have your neck wrenched in a fall.

I personally just take mine off and clip to outside of my pack with a locking biner for longer days out, or just leave in the car if cragging for a few hours. Have yet to be overwhelmed by hordes of confused women desperate to part me from my wife because of my failure to signal my marital status. :)

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Daniel Joder wrote: #1 problem is as illustrated quite graphically in the photos above. A secondary problem is that it also damages the ring--abrasion and scratching. My ring does not remove easily either and I usually resort to using Windex or a heavy glob of lotion to get it on/off--just be sure it doesn't fling off into some hidden universe as it pops off your finger (I lost one that way).

Hey, we recently had a ring resurface in our yard.

Fifteen years later!

All, any downsides to silicone rings, especially with climbing? Hot and sweaty in the summer, get stuck more than a finger would in a crack, anything like that?

Are they proven to come off or break if they do catch on something?

I can't quite talk myself into the tattoo (Jews aren't supposed to do that), although I've considered trying a henna tattoo. I don't know if they last long enough to bother with it, though.

Sneaking up on 25 years married, past 40 years living with the old goat. Who knew?

Thanks! OLH

Eric Fjellanger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 870

I have been wearing a silicone ring for about a month now, it's comfortable and it's nice that I'm not very worried about damaging or losing it. It is a little sticky so can get hung up a little on steering wheels, pockets, etc. I am still not planning to climb with it on, since I just don't want anything getting in the way, but I think you could do so without problems. I did boulder with it once and it seemed fine. I think it's clear the ring would break before doing much damage to my finger, there are videos that show some breaking around 40 lbs.  

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Charlie S wrote: QALO and Enso both make silicon rings. There are a few others out there too. For climbing (especially cracks), even the silicon ones are detrimental. A ring on a necklace is probably the best choice. I haven't worn mine in years. Finger diameter kept changing based on climbing season and climate. Neither does my wife, so, there are no hard feelings over the matter.

I haven't come up with a local place to buy one yet, but I am ready to do so.

Are these the two brands most of you like?

Do they stretch at all? My fingers/knuckles swell, for various reasons, climbing being one of them.

Any other thoughts as I look to purchase?

Thanks! Helen

Marc Yamamoto · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

Growing up around a lot of married farmers, most of them kept their wedding rings around their neck as well.  Never want something like that to get caught on moving machinery.  Similar to pictures above.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Climbing with wedding ring?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started