Mountain Project Logo

Big Bend Bouldering after rain

Original Post
Henry Rubey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 40

I've read several threads concerning crack/trad/sport climbing in the Moab area after rain, however I'm having trouble finding info on Big Bend bouldering after the rain.

"Please allow at least 24 hours to dry and the general rule of thumb is if the ground is wet, the rock is wet."
-mountain project

So it rained Yesterday 3/27 through this morning 3/28, really hard on 3/27 and scattered drizzles on 3/28 ending around 11:ish am?

How long should you wait to boulder in Big Bend after this most recent rain storm?

Are there any boulders that do NOT receive rain fall? i.e overhung problems etc.?

Is anyone heading out to boulder tomorrow?

Albert Kim · · Telluride, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 20
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.
Henry Rubey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 40

Dear Albert,

Guideline #1: don't be a jerk

YOU FAILED!

Nate George · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 50

Albert, save the bluster for arguing over the "correct" method of TR soloing or something. He was just asking a very well worded, reasonable question. Your incredulous (and unhelpful) quip belongs in the youtube comments section. Henry, I have not been to Big Bend, but I did a little research and I don't think anyone could give you a conclusive answer on how long to wait. The geology in Big Bend is so diverse that you could be on water impervious Eldorado style sandstone or soft, pourous Red Rock-like sandstone depending on the area. I might be wrong though, If there is anyone with first hand knowledge of the area, i would love to know about the geology. Happy climbing!

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

It's a good general rule to not climb soft sandstone after rain. And Big Bend is definitely soft sandstone- Wingate, the same stuff as Indian Creek.

However, a lot of the boulder problems at Big Bend are compression/sloper problems that would really be impossible to break anything on, because they don't actually have holds! Use your judgement and don't pull on friable edges or flakes, but there is plenty of stuff you can climb on in the area that won't break.

Or just go to the Crackhouse.

Albert Kim · · Telluride, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 20

Dear Henry and Nate,
Sorry for being a jerk. That being said, respect the Moab area and don't climb after it rains. Even if the climb you want to work doesn't really have "holds" you may notice that wet sandstone will crumble and deteriorate much more quickly, thus ruining the rock for future visitors. None of the rock in the area is waterproof, hard sandstone. All of it is very fragile and soft, Wingate, Navajo, or Entrada and will break easily when wet. If the ground around the rock is damp, the rock is wet. If the rock looks wet, it's wet. The 48 hour after rain rule was made for those who can't create their own judgements.

Aaron Livingston · · Ouray, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 330

Do not boulder or climb after rain for a minimum of 24 sunny and windy hours. 48 hours is always a better bet.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Big Bend Bouldering after rain"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started