Mountain Project Logo

Best crag in the summer heat

Original Post
Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Planning a trip in June for 2 weeks. Which crag in the Midwest has the best climbing in the hot humid conditions? I've climbed for 8 months now and been to Pere Marquette and HCR. It got 85 a week ago at HCR an I can't imagine it in June. I accept discomfort, just curious on which place would have the least.

Cheers

Jess Arnold · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 386

If you're headed to Minnesota...

Some of the bouldering locations at Sandstone (Eldon area) and the Wisconsin side of Interstate SP are sufficiently shady/cool during the summertime. I remember several days last summer when the difference in temperature between the shaded crags and some of the walls (the Minnesota Strip, and even some of the Taylors boulders) was pretty incredible.

Barn Bluff's Large Roof Area thru the East End is pretty shaded when the leaves come in as well, but the mosquitos can get pretty nasty.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Devil's Lake is tolerable in the summer. Just realize that the rock is especially slick and that jams are particularly suspect so you might want to drop a few grades, but there are lots of shady walls.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,144

North Shore of Minnesota, or the Black Hills if you think that is part of the Midwest.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply