Has anyone tried using the CT Click-Up as a lead solo device?

Original Post
John C · · Moab · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 50

So I recently had the chance to try out a Click-Up which is made by an Italian Company called Climbing Technology. As a belay device and competitor to the Gri-gri, I'm a huge fan. The click-up seems to auto-lock more reliably than the gri-gri and, though it's not recommended by the manufacturer seems to be able to catch a leader fall completely hands free (though I haven't tried it on a real fall). I ended up buying my own pretty soon after trying it.

Playing around with it, it seems like it could be a great lead solo/aid solo device. Has anyone actually had a chance to play with one and test it out (with backups?). I'm curious how it would perform.

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 741

There's no way I would ever attempt to lead a pitch using a ClickUp as a rope solo device. I've belayed miles of rope through my AlpineUp(same device, but with two rope slots), have caught many whips with it, and I'm skeptical that it would lock up with enough consistency to trust for those purposes. Also, I could see it choking on the rope and requiring unlocked, which would not be easy to do one handed. It's a great belay device, but not at all suited for rope soloing in my opinion.

If you do decide to try it out, tie back up knots and clip them to your belay loop with a locker!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply