Mountain Project Logo

Temps in the 70s?

Original Post
Gabriel Tallent · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 46

Hi All––

Noobie question here, but me and the gf are gonna have (rare) time off in April, and the City looks cold, so we're eyeing J-Tree. Temps will be in the high 70s. We've been to J-Tree before, but never when it's that hot. Is it unclimbable? We're here in SLC, and climb on quartz monzonite, and the high seventies are hardly prime, but it's climbable. We know it's not perfect conditions. However, I've heard rumors that the tops of granite domes just bake, and will melt the rubber off your shoes.

Is it climbable? Good advice for shade? We're looking for routes grade 5.fun-5.10, very comfortable with multi pitch, very comfortable with small or creative gear. Also, good, shady routes for newbie leaders? (She's been in nursing school for a minute, and has been mostly off the rock.)

Thanks!

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,135

J Tree has so much rock that one can easily move around from shade to sun as needed. So yeah it is all climbable then.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

It'll be fine- you'll be chasing shade and hanging out on the summit won't be at the top of the list of things to do, but you certainly wont melt your shoe rubber.

I'd probably start avoiding Josh when the temps hit the 80s- that's when its going to be really warm in the sun, and the domes there are small enough that full-time shade will be hard to come by.

If you're really concerned, Red Rock is on the way, and the canyons provide really nice shade and good temps until the Valley gets into the high 90s.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply