Mountain Project Logo

Sierra and Red Rock trip with AAI

Original Post
neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 20

Hey all - so maybe some of you read my various questions on gear and travel over the past few months, maybe not - just wanted to put a brief report out there.

March 9 - flew to Reno
March 10 - got an AWD from Thrifty for an EXCELLENT price and drove to Lee Vining
March 11-12 - did two days of ice climbing in Lee Vining with AAI - 1 guide and a group of 4 including me. I had ice climbed about 6 times before this in the NE - we focused on basics, movement, etc - some was review - some was new or a new way of looking at things. We worked mainly on various pitches on the main wall and Chouinard's in the WI3-4 range. Great weather and a great time. My guide Ian was excellent.

March 13-17 - Whitney 5 day winter mountaineering class. Group of 5 and 2 guides (Ian and Elias). Great guides and a great time. Whitney Portal Road was closed about 2 miles back from the portal. Hiked in and camped at the portal day 1. Day 2 we did some Avy instruction then hiked to lower boyscout. After setting up camp we did some basic climbing instruction. Day 3 we did some snow school, self arrest practice, crampon technique, snow travel. Then hiked to a bit past upper, just shy of iceberg and set camp. Day 4 was summit day - got up at 3:30am and headed out at 5:30. We made the summit and were back to camp by about 3:30. Awesome day and awesome views. Day 5 hike back to car with some great glissading. All in all we had awesome mild weather and beautiful days every day!! All of my gear (i-tent, reactor, boots, etc) functioned great. The i-tent was great in high winds we had a couple of nights.

March 19-20. Rock climbing red rock. Day 1 did Tunnel Vision and Black Track. Day 2 Frogland. What an awesome place. I loved the sandstone. My guide Jared was excellent and my first time to Red Rock was fantastic.

I can't say enough positive about AAI. The coordination, guides, and overall organization were great. I booked this trip far in advance and it exceeded my expectations. Thanks to anyone on this forum who answered any of my numerous rambling and redundant questions :) Now back to the local crag.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,045

I vicariously enjoyed your adventures through your pics. Can't wait to see what you're leading this season! (Maybe as soon as Sunday!)

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:I vicariously enjoyed your adventures through your pics. Can't wait to see what you're leading this season! (Maybe as soon as Sunday!)
thanks Alicia - glad you enjoyed. I hope to climb this Sunday for sure - maybe Gelsa, YYYY, or Andrew on tap :)
Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,045
neils wrote: thanks Alicia - glad you enjoyed. I hope to climb this Sunday for sure - maybe Gelsa, YYYY, or Andrew on tap :)
I vote Gelsa! (personal favorite)
Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 180

sounds like an amazing week of rock + ice! and alpine! sending and learning, nice share of enthusiasm!

a few photos -never used the MP photo feature before ;)

Lee Vining Ice

Lee Vining Ice 2

Whitney Summit

Frogland
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply