NC Recommendations

Original Post
Bridger Mann-Wood · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 0

Hello NC,

My partner and I will be in North Carolina for a week, visiting a sister in college and getting out of the Midwest! We have read about falcon closures, fire closures, and other unfortunate (for climbers) news.

We are looking for a few recommendations of where to climb/what's open/what guidebook to look at...

We love trad, like sport, don't boulder much, and will be spending 2 days of climbing near Asheville and 2 days of climbing within a few hours of Durham. If you have info you don't mind sharing, send it my way!

Thanks in advance,
Bridger

Mark P. · · Luzern, Schweiz · Joined May 2013 · Points: 161

Not from NC but had a great time at Looking Glass Rock and Rumbling Bald, both less than an hour from Asheville, a week ago. Great multipitch, if a bit slabby.

webdog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

What are you climbing? Go big at whitesides and Laurel Knob

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 230

Moore's wall is great for some V5ish bouldering / trad climbing or stone mountain for some slab is probably the closest to Durham. Pilot if you want some more casual sport / top rope single pitch climbing.

Rumbling / looking glass / Laurel (1000ft + climbs) / whiteside / table rock (some closures there likely) are closer to Asheville area but mostly trad climbing.

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 588

NC Durham area local here. For your Durham area part of the trip, I second the recommendation for Moore's. Whatever level you climb, don't miss Zoo View and Air Show, and work your way up from there once you get a feel for the area. It can be a chilly area as it doesn't get a lot of sun but I think it's likely warmed up enough by now.

Pilot Mountain can be fun and has a lot of good single pitch TR and sport but is often rather crowded and kind of a cluster with hikers, noobs, and scout troops. Unfortunately you'll miss the end of Sauratown season which closes end of March.

Linville *may* be open again by then if the rain puts out the fire. Check back in if that was high on your to-do list, but watch out for loose rocks, trees, etc if you do go out there, it's rather remote. I heard Rumbling Bald had quite a bit of stuff come loose after a recent fire, although there was a cleanup effort not long ago which may have helped a bit.

Note that a fair amount of NC routes can be a bit exciting with bolt spacing where bolts are involved, just do a little research and know what you are signing up for, especially those big slab areas like Laurel Knob or Stone Mountain (although Pilot is fine in that regard).

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 110

Cedar Rock is a fun area to climb. Not much on MP, but there is a great guidebook by Mike Reardon. Multi pitch trad as well as some multi pitch sport at Stone Depot.

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

The Linville closures have been lifted. So assuming there aren't more between now and then you've got the gorge as an option as well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply