Mountain Project Logo

Is this cam legit?

Original Post
Goat Slayer · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hey ya'll. Just received an older Camalot #2. So old that it is labeled "Black Diamond" but still has the Chouinard seal on the sling.

I've never seen this iteration of the Camalot [edit] before, and I want to see if anyone else is familiar with these?

Note the ball at the top of the cam head where the cable attaches, as well as the fact that there is no trigger stop on the stem.

Surprisingly this thing is not labeled with a kN rating anywhere on the device... and the cable is extra beefy.

--- Invalid image id: 112782107 ---

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,470

Looks like a normal mid to late 90s camalot to me.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

The C4 is the 4th generation of the camalot- the ones with the thumb loops. The prior generations were just referred to as camalots.

This is probably the 2nd generation of the Camalot (late 90s or so)- not sure if BD will resling these, but I know they resling the 3rd gens, which are similar, except they dont have the ball on top the axle boss.

Give BD a call and see if they'll resling it for you.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

3rd generation. 1st & 2nd had U stems & skinny, hard aluminum lobes. I have a bunch of these circa 1994 to 1998 or so.

acrophobe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 0

I believe single stem Camalots came out in 1996. The next year, they added trigger stops. Therefore your Camalot can be dated very precisely.

James Hicks · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 123

BD just reslung two of my 3rd gen camalots last fall. Just send them in.

Rob Subry · · Steamboat Springs · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

That thing's totally unsafe... Send it to me

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745
Rob Subry wrote:That thing's totally unsafe... Send it to me
Wow... did you come up with that all by yourself?

(OP - if BD won't resling it, there are others who will. You could even tie some high strength 5.5 mm cord through there. I'd have no problem using that cam. No problem at all.)
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Allen Hart wrote:Hey ya'll. Just received an older Camalot #2. So old that it is labeled "Black Diamond" but still has the Chouinard seal on the sling. I've never seen this iteration of the Camalot [edit] before, and I want to see if anyone else is familiar with these? Note the ball at the top of the cam head where the cable attaches, as well as the fact that there is no trigger stop on the stem. Surprisingly this thing is not labeled with a kN rating anywhere on the device... and the cable is extra beefy.
You've really never seen one of these? lol sorry I'm not trying to poke fun, but that really blows my mind. Guess my rack is ancient.
the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Scott, we are just getting old, that's all. I still remember getting my first set in 1994 at Blue Ridge Outfiters in Richmond like it happened yesterday. I doubt that the OP was even born then. One of my younger partners recently accused my Creek rack of being a gear museum.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
the schmuck wrote:Scott, we are just getting old, that's all. I still remember getting my first set in 1994 at Blue Ridge Outfiters in Richmond like it happened yesterday. I doubt that the OP was even born then. One of my younger partners recently accused my Creek rack of being a gear museum.
haha well I don't like that feeling at all! I only bat an eye when I am plugging a smooth lobe Metolius or a HB with the center trigger ring.
Jordon · · Rochester · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 55

Fantastic! I was just about to post photos of my old second hand Camalots I acquired last week. Also the only Kn rating I found on them where on the sling (see picture ). Surprised to see the 16 Kn rating. I haven't seen any new cams with this rating.

Also, who are the 3rd parties that resling old gear? Yates?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Eastern European knockoffs, every last one of them.

LLubchenco · · Lander, wy · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

I'd recommend runout customs in Moab for third party reslings. Luke does a great job and turns them around nice and quick. That cam looks shiny for that age. Go have some fun with it!

JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58
GrumpyCat wrote: Hey ya'll. Just received an older Camalot #2. So old that it is labeled "Black Diamond" but still has the Chouinard seal on the sling.

The diamond C was also BD's logo for a good many years (until 2000ish I think), and you can still buy apparel with it.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

Too bad you cut the sling off, that transition cam with the C on the sling is highly collectible, I have seen them go for upwards of $500.   But with the sling cut off it's only worth about $25-30.  

JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58
the schmuck wrote: Scott, we are just getting old, that's all. I still remember getting my first set in 1994 at Blue Ridge Outfiters in Richmond like it happened yesterday. I doubt that the OP was even born then. One of my younger partners recently accused my Creek rack of being a gear museum.

Anyone who has a legit creek rack that doesn't have a bit of museumery (or at least some serious mismatchery) going on has way to much disposable income...

beaki · · San Jose · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 100
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

Too bad you cut the sling off, that transition cam with the C on the sling is highly collectible, I have seen them go for upwards of $500.   But with the sling cut off it's only worth about $25-30.  

seriously? ;-)  let's see, who wants to make me an offer over $500? everything is original, in working condition. 

ps: it is actually the second time someone told me that I have collectibles in my rack. the first time it was a lost arrow piton. 

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

LOL really? I think I have a #4.5 in impeccable condition

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
Politically Correct Ball wrote:

LOL really? I think I have a #4.5 in impeccable condition

Pm sent

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Actually, it was an old school #5 which just went missing.

I also just found out that one of the cams I just reslung was one of these cams.

Where was this thread a month ago?!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply