Front Range mountaineering - 1st route?


Original Post
Pete Vastyan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Ok so my partner and I have trad, ice, and AT skiing experience and want to get out and do something fun this weekend (weather permitting). We are thinking RMNP or somewhere not too far from Denver. Does anyone have any suggestions on a mountaineering route that would be a good intro for us and good this time of year? We were hoping to be able to skin in somewhere, climb/scramble, maybe snow climb a little, and then ski down.

Andy Nelson · · Fort Collins, Colorado · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 293

I'm not up to speed on the current conditions up on Pikes Peak, but I think it would be cool to climb the flying W pigs climb and then ski little Italy couloir. This would require maybe more mixed climbing than you asked for in your post? Another objective that comes to mind in RMNP would be climbing the South Side of Flattop and going over to ski the Banana Bowl/Ptarmigan Helene area.

Colton · · Folsom, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15
Andy Nelson wrote:Another objective that comes to mind in RMNP would be climbing the South Side of Flattop and going over to ski the Banana Bowl/Ptarmigan Helene area.
I second that. Specifically Dragon's Tail Couloir which would make for a steep snow climb and provide access to whatever you wanted on the South side of Flattop. Recent beta photos shows it to be in good condition.
Koy · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 25

Check out the E. Ridge on Bancroft:

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/east-ridge-direct/106350140

A-K · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

I just did the Autobon Couloir in the Indian Peaks last weekend and it was a great beginner climb/ski. Mt Toll is also another great climb and ski - a big day though car-to-car.

The couloir in Chaos Canyon on the back side of Hallets would be another good option.

You can check out lots of other options here:

http://www.frontrangeskimo.com/

Pete Vastyan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Awesome, thank you for all of the ideas. We didn't get out the other weekend, but are trying to figure something out for this weekend.

Caleb Cerling · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 20
A-K wrote: I just did the Autobon Couloir in the Indian Peaks last weekend and it was a great beginner climb/ski. Mt Toll is also another great climb and ski - a big day though car-to-car. The couloir in Chaos Canyon on the back side of Hallets would be another good option. You can check out lots of other options here: http://www.frontrangeskimo.com/

How much snow was on Brainard Lake Road when you were up there? Is the road still completely covered with the warm temps we've been having?

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 695
Koy wrote: Check out the E. Ridge on Bancroft: https://www.mountainproject.com/v/east-ridge-direct/106350140

Great option!  You can climb this entire route with Skis, then descend the Bancroft Bowl, or Ski steeper options if you want.  

A-K · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0
Caleb Cerling wrote:

How much snow was on Brainard Lake Road when you were up there? Is the road still completely covered with the warm temps we've been having?

It was about 75% snow 25% pavement sections and the snow sections were totally post-holed with no clean skin track. With the warms temps and snow last night its hard to say.

 I would think you could expect snow and pavement mixed until Brainard for the next few weeks, definitely not biking ready for awhile, but above Brainard was still pretty well covered. 

Pete Vastyan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Does anyone know if the "seasonal" road up to Loch Lomond is open, or is this something I should plan on skinning/ hiking if we do Bancroft?

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 695
Pete Vastyan wrote:

Does anyone know if the "seasonal" road up to Loch Lomond is open, or is this something I should plan on skinning/ hiking if we do Bancroft?

plan on skinning until the snow melts.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply