Mountain Project Logo

Lost Ridge RRG directions, help!

Original Post
Steven Lesiecki · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

Can anybody help with directions? I tried to find this and was unsuccessful, all the directions reference a river and stream that have been moved, and the coordinates and map on here put it where the book puts Board Wall, so I can't even plug in GPS coordinate and bushwhack to it. Any help, please?

Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,034
redriverclimbing.com/RRCGui… I haven't been out there yet but I want to get out there asap. Let me know if you want a partner
Ben Dueweke · · Lander, WY · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 20

Dude holy shit that place is hard to find. It took me 3-4 hours, and a great amount of bushwhaking. Honestly, try to go up there with someone who has already gone up there. I'll try to give you some directions, but you gotta know that the "trail" becomes non-existent and there aren't good landmarks.

So walk up the road, past the trail to indian creek, cross the stream, and continue straight, past the trail to purple valley, then follow a small braided stream in a valley for maybe 15-20 minutes on very faint paths. Eventually there is a small cairn on the left side of the stream bed. When/if you see that, bush whack up the hill on that side of the stream trending slightly right until you hit the cliff line. When I went up there I missed the cairn, walked too far, then aimlessly walked uphill on the left and ended up hitting the cliff line way climbers right. I remember a house sized boulder in the stream bed around the cairn but I think past it a couple a minutes so if you hit that you probably went to far.

That place is tight though, good luck

Also I tried to use those directions from rrg linked above when I first went out there and that shit does not make sense, but that could just be me

thomas, Those directions arn't very helpful, nothing is where it used to be.

Ben, man, those are some vague directions with lots of chances to mess up! I appreciate it though, it really is a nightmare tyo find. There is a pretty solid trail going past purple valley, we followed it all the way to a split in the river with only minimal bushwhacking, and this was well past were little Amos and Indian creek meet. I will have to try again some time, thanks again for the help.

Ben Dueweke · · Lander, WY · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 20

That's just the way she goes. It sounds like you were on the right track. The creek splits and comes back to together a couple times it seems. You probably just needed to continue farther and hike up hill left at the cairn/whenever. You can't see the cliffline through the trees but it's not too far up there.

Ben Dueweke wrote:That's just the way she goes. It sounds like you were on the right track. The creek splits and comes back to together a couple times it seems. You probably just needed to continue farther and hike up hill left at the cairn/whenever. You can't see the cliffline through the trees but it's not too far up there.
thats the thing, we did hike up whenever, we found a very weak face. From the map and google earth I don't think it splits at all beyond the two actually. Anyway, I will just have to go try again, thanks again Ben.
Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,034

Hiked up there yesterday. The directions are so confusing because they take you to two totally different parts of the wall at least a half mile away from each other but they are still pretty accurate if you are familiar with that area. With a little persistence I was able to find what I was looking for. Paid really close attention on the hike out and realized that it is actually petty easy to get up there and I was just making things hard on myself. Are you local? It'd be much easier to describe in person...also have GPS coordinates....

Thomas Gilmore wrote:Hiked up there yesterday. The directions are so confusing because they take you to two totally different parts of the wall at least a half mile away from each other but they are still pretty accurate if you are familiar with that area. With a little persistence I was able to find what I was looking for. Paid really close attention on the hike out and realized that it is actually petty easy to get up there and I was just making things hard on myself. Are you local? It'd be much easier to describe in person...also have GPS coordinates....
Ohio, so kinda local. I will shoot you a PM
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Lost Ridge RRG directions, help! "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.