Two accidents in the park yesterday Be careful everyone

Original Post
Jeff Scofield · · Yorba Linda, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 135

One was climbing related, the other I don't know. Please be careful out there everyone. Good reminder to all of us to always double check all anchors, pieces etc...limited info on Joshua Tree Search and Rescue facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/josarorg/

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 81

It looks like the climber who took the fall did not make it through. Very sad.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 1,640

A sobering reminder of how quickly it can go wrong.

Sad indeed and my sincerest condolences to all family and friends.

Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
Chris C. wrote:It looks like the climber who took the fall did not make it through. Very sad.
does anyone know if the rescue on cyclops someone free soloing a route or someone just scrambling at the top?
JMedo · · Maywood, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I've been wondering the same. I was parked at the pull out when it went down. The guy fell right in front of spaghetti and chili but i've no idea if he was roped up, soloing, or scrambling the top. I saw his buddies had climbing shoes with them but further then that have no idea how the guy fell. He was gone within minutes though, i was told it was a severe head wound.

also if the title was changed to joshua tree accident this thread might get more flow.

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2961412 Most Often if you need real climbing info SuperTopo will come through!

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 204
R. Moran wrote: supertopo.com/climbing/thre... Most Often if you need real climbing info SuperTopo will come through!
Rarely the case but true here haha

Relevant quote from supertopo:

"Wasn't a free soloist and it wasn't on the Eye. The climber was roped and on Spaghetti and Chili. Event is still under investigation, so there are no more details. Climber on Hemingway was released from hospital same day with minor injuries."

From Bernadette Regan
plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

Terrible news. RIP to the deceased climber, and best wishes to the injured climber.

From the JOSAR photo, it looks like the Hemmingway rescue took place on Feltonean Physics or an adjacent route.

RAZORsharp · · Carlsbad CA · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 730

I was in the park (outback area) when both accidents occurred. Sad indeed.

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

No Nathaniel. MTN project has devolved to a car buying advice website with a lost and found for rock shoes!

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0
R. Moran wrote: supertopo.com/climbing/thre... Most Often if you need real climbing info SuperTopo will come through!
Isnt supertopo 99% California climbing?
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 330

Man, Bernadette sees some tuff stuff.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105
R. Moran wrote:No Nathaniel. MTN project has devolved to a car buying advice website with a lost and found for rock shoes!
True.

A sad day to be sure.

My since condolences to the fallen climber, the Family and Friends.

Long time climber Tom Hargis will be fine.

Josh can and will bite you hard if you make a mistake.

Be careful out there people.
Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 95
Fernando Cal wrote: does anyone know if the rescue on cyclops someone free soloing a route or someone just scrambling at the top?
I don't know the full details, but I saw a post on the So Cal Climbing fb page that said the climber was leading Spaghetti & Chili and popped a piece and decked.

The local paper said it was a 60 foot fall because of gear failure or improper placement (my bet is on the latter).
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2017/03/28/joshua-tree-cyclops-rock/99728556/
Jesse Holt · · Irvine, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

I was at Psyclops on Saturday when the climber fell and was one of the first people on scene to help. He was on Spaghetti and Chili near the very last few moves, definitely was not free soloing. It looked to be a combination of reasons as to why the fall happened

Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Article states "he was described as a beginner in rock climbing." Improper gear placement on the flake or around the patina on top will cause the gear to pop. Regardless, a loss in the climbing community affects us all. My condolences to the fallen climber's family and friends.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply