Mountain Project Logo

Hole/Flaw in Evolves

Original Post
Jason Gorr · · Ottawa · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 5

So I found an air bubbles in my evolves. Contacted customer support and was told I should have them resoled. Since it's an issue with the rubber used and not a wear issue any suggestions?

Air bubble in sole
Still have about 1/2" of rubber left in them.
chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

um my advice is a different brand should be looked at. Besides the smell I feel like breaking in the rubber never happens. Made the mistake of getting a pair while my murias were being resoled. ended up in a trash can about a week after my shoes got back.

Andrewww · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 620

pictures?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Evolv makes disposable shoes. They're not meant to be resoled...

Andrewww · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 620

I highly disagree Ted. My new shamans are on their first resole and I see them getting resoled several times. I had evolv resole them so they came back like new because they have the molds for the shoes so they keep the original shape.

chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

I'm with Ted on this, any pair of shoes that smells like the inside of a cat colen is a desposable shoe. I even have access to huge discounts with the company and still would rather pay full price on a good pair of sportivas.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Eh, the straps on my Shamans were already falling apart by the time they were due for a resole...I didn't bother. The old ones were pretty good until they completely lost their downturn and flattened out. Moccs and Katana Laces = both on 3rd sole and still going strong. Solutions = have already lasted longer than my Shamans did and are much higher performance. I want to like Evolv because they're more of an underdog company, but I've never been impressed by their products.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Kind of surprised evolv didn't warranty that, actually.

Yosemite Bum is Evolvs resole branch. I'd recommend them because 1) they're cheap and 2) they go onto the assembly line for getting their sole, so you get a full factory sole, which is really nice.

As for the wear and tear, all of my Evolvs have survived multiple resoles, but I've only ever sent them back to the factory for that work. Ymmv if you use a different resoler.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply