Red Rock Rendezvous Crag List is BS!

Original Post
D Young · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 315

So this looks like the official RRR Crag List for 2017: cvent.com/events/red-rock-r...

It looks very official. However, I guide in Red Rock and relied on this list to take clients out today. There is no mention of Calico Basin being used for any clinics on this list. So that's where we headed. WRONG! RRR groups on at least three of the crags my clients were interested in: Cowlick, Gnat Man, and Existential Wall. God knows where else they were. The problem is you can't see the RRRers without walking in. By then, it was too late to find a reasonable Plan B for beginners. I told one of the guides that Calico Basin wasn't on "the list" and he said it was on "his list". It's just like the arrogant AAI to post one list for the public and another different list for their guides to follow. I experienced something similar last year. Meetup Wall was not on "the list". I'm up cleaning an anchor and 15 RRRers walk in. Then the arrogant guide yells up to me "Hey! Can you set our ropes up? It would really help us out!" Maybe you can imagine my response. I then said "you aren't even supposed to be at this crag". Answer: "We didn't like where we were supposed to go". How am I supposed to plan quality outings with my clients when the AAI/RRR is going anywhere they please regardless of the rest of the users and regardless of the "official crag list"? Seems very arrogant to me.

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 4,815

Seems like a reasonable complaint that should be lodged with the BLM. The welcome that the local Red Rock community has extended to the Rendezvous has been trampled worse and worse as the years go by. I think some serious questions should be answered before a permit is extended to them next year. I wonder exactly how Red Rock stands to benefit from this gathering.

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

"For the Red Rock Rendezvous clinics, most of the proposed clinic sites will be on these crags located within four major areas within RRCNCA:"

The list you detailed did not claim to be exhaustive.

In 2016, Jason Martin posted roughly a month before the event on this forum the exhaustive list: mountainproject.com/v/red-r...

The list changes based on BLM input each year. Sorry the list did not get posted on the forum again this year. AAI didn't post at all this year, the web link you used is to Mountain Gear's page. The link he posted last year included all of the crags you mentioned, as we've been using them for a long time.

Had you approached us at the Existential Crag, we would have been more than willing to share the ropes, or move our ropes so you could use the climbs. I saw you on the wall across from the Existential Crag and you never once spoke with me, and you and I know each other Dan. I will happily work alongside you if you're willing to do the same. If your preference is to not do your research (at least in 2016 it doesn't seem like you did it) and then complain on the internet, than I have nothing to offer you.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,045

hmmm, i think if the OP takes a step back and opens his mind he might realize that this is how most typical climbers feel when they want to do a route and a guide and clients have it clogged up.

i honestly feel guiding and climber's festivals are pretty much the worst things that have happened to climbing.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Red Rock Ruindaview ^^^

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95
slim wrote:hmmm, i think if the OP takes a step back and opens his mind he might realize that this is how most typical climbers feel when they want to do a route and a guide and clients have it clogged up. i honestly feel guiding and climber's festivals are pretty much the worst things that have happened to climbing.
Well stated. The inconsiderate behavior described for the RRR guides doesn't seem too different from the inconsiderate behavior that is common in that profession. It is just happening on a larger scale at the RRR.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
slim wrote:hmmm, i think if the OP takes a step back and opens his mind he might realize that this is how most typical climbers feel when they want to do a route and a guide and clients have it clogged up. i honestly feel guiding and climber's festivals are pretty much the worst things that have happened to climbing.
Overheard at the Gunks 17 years ago, spoken by one partner to another after he was first to arrive at Snooky's Return then headed back down the trail to his partner:
"Let's get out of here and head to [some other climb]. The whole place up there is infested with guides and clients."
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply