Current Chalten Beta

Original Post
Mathias Deming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Hey there,

I am from the United States, currently Argentine Patagonia working with Proyecto Maca Tobiano (incredible conservation group doing really exceptional work if you are looking for a volunteer gig in the conservation field). I finish the project April 15 and was hoping I to steal some some current beta for the Chalten area- especially best places to camp for free/cheap, get food for cheap, meet partners, get beer.... the works.

Also interested in people's experience visiting the area in the "off season". What should be expected weather wise in mid/late April (I have heard everything from too cold and stormy to best time to go so I am a little confused). I hadn't planned to do much climbing in Chalten, and definitely nothing big this trip, but given the legendary, meca-like status of the place, I would love to experience it.

I am also considering heading north to Bariloche/Cochamo area, so any current, interesting, fun beta is appreciated.

I am a bit of a consciously nieve gringo with a rack looking to learn, so any info is greatly appreciated! Cheers and safe climbing!

cdmike112 · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

There is plenty of sport routes and bouldering in or near town. In terms of weather I am not sure, I have only been during December/Jan/Feb. I imagine town is pretty quiet. There are several places to camp for cheap in town. You can also probably find a place at a hostel. In terms of food and beer, nothing is really all that cheap in Chalten. It has definitely gotten more expensive overtime.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply