Mountain Project Logo

garmin inreach explorer+

Original Post
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

has anyone used the new garmin version of the explorer?

i am considering getting one so i dont need to take both an inreach (old brick with no screen) and a gps (plus batteries for both) into the backcountry. i just am looking for some account of personal experience using the gps for navigation. i dont want to wish i had my gps with me once i purchase this.

ive already read any online reviews and technical info available, so really just looking for someone's personal experience.

thanks

Mountain Rookie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
Jeff Marley wrote: Hey Jake, I can understand your problem as I had faced the same issue with Garmin GPS, after the lots of searches to get rid of this I found the best solution which is Garmin Support Numbers website which had the huge chain of technicians they helped me with my Garmin product at my doorstep.
Hope this will help you out.

Thanks

Haha, troll, pretending to be a bot!   

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Jake wander wrote: has anyone used the new garmin version of the explorer? i am considering getting one so i dont need to take both an inreach (old brick with no screen) and a gps (plus batteries for both) into the backcountry. i just am looking for some account of personal experience using the gps for navigation. i dont want to wish i had my gps with me once i purchase this. ive already read any online reviews and technical info available, so really just looking for someone's personal experience. thanks

Outdoorgearlab.com has some good reviews on satellite messengers and the Inreach Explorer+. I just got an Inreach Explorer+ and activated it (paid for a subscription) a couple of weeks ago. I will be taking it into the backcountry next week. I like that I only have to pay a subscription for the months I want to use it, as opposed to an "annual" plan.

I remember reading "excellent satellite messenger, so-so-GPS." So far, playing with it around home, that seems about right. You can pair it (Bluetooth) with your smartphone for a larger screen and easier typing. I will not be doing that, though, because I don't want two devices in the backcountry and the added weight. I don't normally take my phone into the backcountry, not even for photos. Anyway, I really wanted the satellite messenger capability for emergencies and the Explorer+ had good reviews.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/personal-locator-beacon/garmin-inreach-explorer-plus (Inreach Explorer+ review)

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon/buying-advice

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon

Edit: Just noticed I responded over a year after you asked! So much for my powers of observation.
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

Thanks for the reply frank. I ended up picking up the inreach mini. I think it is just what I needed. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "garmin inreach explorer+"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.