Job Offer In Gunnison

Original Post
Trent Mahaffey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Hello,

Any folks have any experience living in this rural mountain town? Right now we live near Glenwood Springs, and so far Gunnison feels more rural and remote than the Roaring Fork Valley. It looks like it has some very solid climbing even aside from the epic Black Canyon. I hear the winters can be dreadful. How are the people? How is the town? Does living near Crusty Butt and the West Elks/Collegiates make the area, or are there other special parts that you would or would not recommend.

Cheers!

George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 3

I love Taylor Canyon! Its like 20 minutes away and gorgeous roadside cragging. I once had a big female mountain lion walk through my camp while my girlfriend and I were setting up in the dark across from the main wall. It just stared a moment and then slowly walked away to her cub, and then watched us from across the road until we went to sleep. There's some rich history there too; it was and still kinda is a no-chalk crag.
On the other side of town and much closer to Gunny is Hartman Rocks which has some very coarse granite like J-tree--good fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply