Mountain Project Logo

Your Favorite Big Walls

Original Post
Erik Young · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10

Looking to climb a big wall in May. Post some of your favorite big wall climbs or big wall climbs you are currently looking forward to climbing.

Extra info (in case you're curious):
I'm looking to stay in America but you could convince me to go to Mexico or maybe even Canada.
I live in Texas.
I've never been big wall climbing but have experience in sport and some in trad and crack and a bit of aid. (Don't let this keep you from posting big walls that I might not be ready for. I like goals.) My climbing partner has climbed El Potrero Chico.

mtc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 15

Excellent post. Taking into consideration your motivation and meaningful experience, I highly recommend Mount Asgard on Baffin Island. With just a little practice placing clean aid gear at your local crags you should be ready for a May adventure in one of the most unique climbing venues in North America. Have fun and good luck!

CornCob · · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

Based off of your stated experience level it is unlikely anyone would seriously recommend you attempt any big wall by this May.

Not to say it is impossible, or that you couldn't do it. Just that it would be incredibly prudent to get some more experience. Being an experienced sport climber provides just the tiniest tip of the iceberg of knowledge needed to successfully climb a big wall.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420

South Face of Washington Column would be about your speed.

You can just get a Valley guidebook and go do the start of any old wall for some practice and see if its what you really want. Because, you gotta really want it.

Danny Poceta · · the gunks · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 40
mtc wrote:Excellent post. Taking into consideration your motivation and meaningful experience, I highly recommend Mount Asgard on Baffin Island. With just a little practice placing clean aid gear at your local crags you should be ready for a May adventure in one of the most unique climbing venues in North America. Have fun and good luck!
10/10
Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 65
CornCob wrote:Based off of your stated experience level it is unlikely anyone would seriously recommend you attempt any big wall by this May. Not to say it is impossible, or that you couldn't do it. Just that it would be incredibly prudent to get some more experience. Being an experienced sport climber provides just the tiniest tip of the iceberg of knowledge needed to successfully climb a big wall.
South Face Washington Column. It will be crowded as heck, but plenty of people have climbed that with some trad experience and a how to manual on aid climbing.
Erik Young · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10

mtc and Danny P what is the best way to get to Mount Asgard?

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420
Erik Young wrote:mtc and Danny P what is the best way to get to Mount Asgard?
Sailing Schooner and Inuit Dog Mushers.
NegativeK · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10
Erik Young wrote:mtc and Danny P what is the best way to get to Mount Asgard?

Your chain, it has been yanked.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply