Mountain Project Logo

what else to buy ?

Original Post
St. Mark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 35

Hi,

I'm Mark, 36 from Germany. recently bought some climbing equipment. mostly good as new. wanted to ask what you think would be essential to have (i'm a minimalist). looking to do probably a bit of climbing/bouldering/mountain tours this year.

what is the bits of your kit that you use most often and/or can't do without ?

cheers guys

St. Mark

PS: kitlist will be posted and updated further down the thread as the shipments arrive and are checked by me for flawless condition.

oh, yeah, and i've got no climbing shoes yet, either :)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

After you get shoes, find someone experienced to learn from, take a course or hire a guide for a couple of days. Your question shows you need some instruction.

Welcome to climbing!

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

be sure to ALWAYS climb on a dynamic climbing rope and not a static rope.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I have never climbedi n europe but the rope you bought is worthless for any lead climbing and questionable for top rope climbing. If you were in the US a rope of that size would probably be worthless in at least 75% of the areas due to being short, there are alot of areas where you can get by with 50m rope but it is still going to be to small for alot of US areas. 39m would be a major problem. I would go get a 60m dynamic rope to climb on. (70m will be good for 99% of climbs out there but a 60m will probably get you by on over 90%)

You may want to get some slings or short rope like 5m or so for setting up top rope off of trees if no anchors exist (probably be fine getting someone with a hot knife to cut your 39m static rope into 5-10m sections to use for building anchors off trees). Pre-sewn webbing slings are good for certain rope routes to avoid rope drag but most sport areas it isn't needed.

CornCob · · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

If you are just getting into climbing all you will need right now are:
-1x Harness
-1x Pair of shoes
-1x ATC or similar belay/rappel device with locking carabiner
-1x Helmet (optional? debatable subject)
-1x Experienced climbing partner/guide to show you what else you need and how to use all of it

Don't get too carried away with buying things until you know what you need for your current goals. An experienced partner or guide will have a lot more insight on what you need and how to use it all once you discuss your specific goals.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
ViperScale wrote:I have never climbedi n europe but the rope you bought is worthless for any lead climbing and questionable for top rope climbing. If you were in the US a rope of that size would probably be worthless in at least 75% of the areas due to being short, there are alot of areas where you can get by with 50m rope but it is still going to be to small for alot of US areas. 39m would be a major problem. I would go get a 60m dynamic rope to climb on. (70m will be good for 99% of climbs out there but a 60m will probably get you by on over 90%) You may want to get some slings or short rope like 5m or so for setting up top rope off of trees if no anchors exist (probably be fine getting someone with a hot knife to cut your 39m static rope into 5-10m sections to use for building anchors off trees). Pre-sewn webbing slings are good for certain rope routes to avoid rope drag but most sport areas it isn't needed.
Not much need for building toprope anchors over here, it´ll be bolted anyway. Standard practice is NEVER wander around the top of the cliff anyway, most areas it is prohibited so either you climb the route or there will be a path to suitable anchors.
A couple of 60cm slings can be useful. 60m rope is standard but it depends on where in SW Germany you climb, I can´t imagine anywhere you´d use a 70 really. Half the time I use a 40.
A chalk bag is missing from the gear list!
Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

Can't tell if trolling....

If you're German, then you should know that the DAV is the best resouce by far. They can answer all your questions and help with anything climbing related. Find the local DAV-sektion and go there or ask in a local Kletterhalle.

Also, buying climbing stuff on eBay is pretty iffy. Wo wohnst du in Deutschland?

1st part of shipment arrived, checked in detail and in flawless condition.
I'll re-post the list of what he actually sent, right here:

#######################
1x rope 55m mammut, 1 UIAA, 950123 EN892, static (abseil)(12mm at zero load)
1x harness, petzl, indoor mercury, ( size L, no° 38782)
1x harness, singing rock, tucan, size M, (marked no° 13330)
2x simple carabiner (britain, 2400kg)
1x abseil 8-ring (DMM, Wales)
1x helmet (edelrid)
5x quickdraws (express-set) (marked: wild country 94, britain, 2400 kg)
1x locking carabiner DMM wales, rated 22kN / 8kN (marked H92)
10x nuts, DMM and wild country rock, size 1-10, flawless condition

if you want closeup shots let me know. but the stuff is in great shape.
now I need to get into great shape. before i can start climbing i need to shed at least 30 pounds.

Bremen kit (1st part)

seth jones, here's a picture for you

for seth jones

Since when do Germans talk about "losing pounds" instead of kilos? Now I'm a bit suspicious. New account too. Also didnt answer my PM in German....

i'm only a part-time troll. but can be serious too. if need might arise.

jabba the lead climber

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Climb Germany wrote:Since when do Germans talk about "losing pounds" instead of kilos? Now I'm a bit suspicious. New account too. Also didnt answer my PM in German....
Where do you order a 55m rope from? does mammut even sell that size?

According to mammut.ch/US/en_US/B2C-Kate… mammut doesn't make a 55m rope.
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
ViperScale wrote: Where do you order a 55m rope from? does mammut even sell that size? According to mammut.ch/US/en_US/B2C-Kate… mammut doesn't make a 55m rope.
Obviously they don't offer one any more, but back in 1994 when that rope was originally purchased they certainly did.
Austin Todd · · Squamish · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 30
Jim Titt wrote: Standard practice is NEVER wander around the top of the cliff anyway, most areas it is prohibited so either you climb the route or there will be a path to suitable anchors.
Jim, Why is it standard practice and prohibited to wander on top of the cliff? To minimize risk of falling? Just curious because I have not heard of this before.
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Austin Todd wrote: Jim, Why is it standard practice and prohibited to wander on top of the cliff? To minimize risk of falling? Just curious because I have not heard of this before.
Erosion control and to minimize damage to the clifftop vegetation. The Euros are way ahead of us in this regard.
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Ken Noyce wrote: Erosion control and to minimize damage to the clifftop vegetation. The Euros are way ahead of us in this regard.
plus you have the n00bfest ala Gunks style people wandering the edge of the cliff kicking pebbles and dropping gear down on peoples faces and heads so they can get the ultimate TR in for the day

It's usualy environmental as mentioned. There are also cases of there being private property directly when you top out. So basically you can climb, but if you top out your trespassing or in some kind of protected area (e.g. environmentally protected "zone")

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Ken Noyce wrote: Erosion control and to minimize damage to the clifftop vegetation. The Euros are way ahead of us in this regard.
That´s about it. The zone where it changes from a vertical cliff with bare rock to the normal topsoil is the most interesting area botanically and holds the largest variety of plants and insects making the best of both environments. The base of the cliff on the other hand is usually completely uninteresting fortunately.
Topping out is usually horrific anyway, climbing overhanging leafmould and moss concealing loose rocks and f#ck knows what creepy insects.

second part of kit has arrived
#######################################
1x helmet orange, petzl elios, size 53-61cm
1x harness skylotec, type C, EN12277, GSC-0103-200-M/XL
1x nylon sling, 2mm x 120cm, orange, (elliott)
1x screw locking carabiner, red gate, 25kN x 9kN, Elliott, EN12275H
1x screw locking carabiner, blue, 24kN x 8 kN, Camp, CE 0123
1x slide locking carabiner, round, orange gate, 24kN x 8kN, Petzl 0408,
1x ATC-CP belay device, black diamond, red color, no°55507

a third part of kit will arrive in couple days. including another 50m rope,
3 more harnesses. some more locking beaners and 8 more quickdraws.

2nd part of my climbing kit

my new hat

3rd part of kit has arrived
###########################
8x quickdraws, austrialpin easylight
1x abseil 8-ring
5x locking carabiners
3x regular carabiners (1 big, 2 small)
5x smallish carabiners for random stuff
50m rope,ocun,(blue,11mm thick)
1x rope bag, lost arrow
3x harness, singing rock, (sizes: L, S, XS)
1x chalk bag, deuter, with chalk

3rd part of kit (augsburg)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "what else to buy ?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.