Alaska Climbing

Original Post
Aaron D. · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hey folks, are there any good climbing areas with some good moderate routes around the Anchorage(ish) area? I'm not a fan of the highway, to many cars.

George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 8

Chugach choss varies, and improves at the steeper walls, but rockfall is usually a given. Instead, I found it worthwhile to make regular trips to the Talkeetna's for splitter alpine granite. The drive from Anchorage is around 80 minutes to the first parking lot without traffic.

Back south of town there's a well traveled area that's a short walk-in from the Seward hwy. that's also rather thick with brush and black bears, but also worth a visit when things warm up. You can barely hear the highway there.

Thanks George, I'll definitely look into it.

C. Williams · · the Climber Cave · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,039

There are 2 walls in a 45 min walk from the Eagle River Nature Center, a fair number of moderates at each. Hatcher Pass has a lots of routes and few climbers. There area number of crags along the Seward Highway that are not road cuts and are tucked back up in the trees. I highly suggest you acquire a copy of the local guide book, all of this is much better detailed than any forum post can offer. All of the areas are also described on this site.

C. Williams · · the Climber Cave · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,039

The more popular highway crags my have a party or two, but else where can be hit or miss. It's usually best to have a partner lined up before you head out. Give me a shout if you need a second, I'd be happy to show some of the better spots. Some are are even good to go now.

C.Williams wrote:The more popular highway crags my have a party or two, but else where can be hit or miss. It's usually best to have a partner lined up before you head out. Give me a shout if you need a second, I'd be happy to show some of the better spots. Some are are even good to go now.
I sent you a message! I'm not so sure it went through though. Regardless, I'd be stoked to go climbing!
Jen Sauers · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15

Hey Aaron,
I am moving to the Anchorage area for the summertime and am looking for climbing/ climbing buddies as well! I'll be there May 1st.

Toni Walters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

To the folks on this feed. I'm spending the summer in AK working in Seward and want to spend my days and nights off, on the rock. I would love to get out and see the area!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply